Add-on [PAID] Publicly Joinable Usergroups

shawn

Basically, I want to add the vB functionality to XF. I imagine something like this:

ACP panel with a list of subforums. Pick which subforums will be joinable. Assign moderators to approve/deny requests. If no moderator is assigned, the group membership is open and joins are automatic.

User Profile Page has a list of joinable groups with join and leave buttons (as applicable). Moderator names for each group are listed.

Moderators get a notification when there are new requests. They have a management pane that shows both the current outstanding applications as well as the current membership, with buttons to boot those users.

ragtek started work on a similar project, but it doesn't have the moderator functionality. I'm open to him or anyone else finishing it as I've outlined above. Let me know how long you think it would take and what rate you'd need to do the work. I'd prefer the add-on were turned over for public use after completion.

Thanks!

Shawn I have the basis of this mod going on my site now.
It's being finished by Waindigo - the more cosmetic details. Then he'll make it a mod you can install.
Nice to see you thinking similarly.

ACP panel with a list of subforums.
There is an ACP list where I can Pick which subforums will be joinable.

As admin I set a forum as Joinable on its create/edit page. It's then called a Circle.
It then appears on a list of Circles, same structure as the node tree which links off the main Node Tree.
I can assign usergroups or users as members of it.
Its members get email notifications on its threads.

I can set a child forum to generate a kind of membership of its parent Category but without this activating email notifications off all the forums in this category. Membership of the category like this gives the other membership services but not notification.
There is a possible option to assign full membership to a category too and get all notifications.

Assign moderators to approve/deny requests. If no moderator is assigned, the group membership is open and joins are automatic.
Members can join any forum or category I set to joinable if I tick that option on its create/edit page.
Subject to other access permissions.
This doesn't have moderators yet because mine is a small board. But it wouldn't be a big thing to add this as a moderator permission. Ask waindigo.

What we do have as well is admin option to create a default Circle where ALL members automatically belong to this Circle.

User Profile Page has a list of joinable groups with join and leave buttons (as applicable).
Yes a member can Join or Leave any node I set as joinable, with a tab on their profile giving a full list to select.
There's a button to join it on its forum page as well.

However if I am the one who assigns membership per usergroup or user they can't Leave except through me.

Moderator names for each group are listed.
Not yet. I will have the moderator up by the title at the top with their avatar.

All members of a Circle are displayed on a list below the forum list of threads A-Z.
This list of members has a Start onversation button per member - we will add a bit more like location etc as a mini memberlist.
A larger board would need to set a limit on this or paginate it, but I'm sure waindigo can add this.

I have also themed the Category and Forum pages so a Category page themes its colours to the cat bar on the front and all child forums inherit. Forum pages also have a logo image by the title themed to their parent category.
Beside the mini memberlist is a Links list for this Circle.

Moderators get a notification when there are new requests.
They have a management pane that shows both the current outstanding applications as well as the current membership, with buttons to boot those users.
I don't have this as it's not necessary for me on a small board. Could be added.
I just set a forum to joinable or not. If joinable members can join it. If not they cannot.
If I assign a usergroup to it they are members, but unless I set it as openly joinable, other members of the board can't join.

Thanks. Yeah, let Waindingo know about this. He should be able to determine how much work is necessary to add the moderator aspect. That's the big thing for me -- the joinable groups should be self-managed. Admins could add/remove moderators, but they run themselves other than that.

No I meant you contact him and ask about the moderator part for you. Much better if you talk to him direct.

Thanks. Yeah, let Waindingo know about this. He should be able to determine how much work is necessary to add the moderator aspect. That's the big thing for me -- the joinable groups should be self-managed. Admins could add/remove moderators, but they run themselves other than that.
I'm also very interested in this, if you don't mind including me in the process I'd really appreciate it.

Just a quick update. Waindigo sent me the first release a few nights ago. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but based on his description, it sounds like it's functional save for a few minor bugs.

Top Bottom