1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Page speed when thread has multiple Youtube embeds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Mr Lucky, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a way to speed up page loads in xenforo when a thread has multiple Youtube embeds?

Thanks

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I can't remember what it is called, but I believe there is an add-on in the Resource Manager that defers the loading of YouTube embeds until they are clicked. That is one solution.

It's worth checking what your embed code is for YouTube. If you're using the old style <object> embed code rather than the new style <iframe> embed code, then I recall this may have performance issues.

It may also be dependent on whether you are being served the flash player or their newer HTML5 player. The latter will have better performance in newer browsers.

3. Mr Lucky

AFAIK it is just the default xenforo settings.

4. Mr Lucky

Hi Chris

This is what I have for Youtube embeds, I presume that is the new style you mention

Code:
    <iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{$id}?wmode=opaque" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Is there a way to find out?

5. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

try to add controls=2 to the youtube link in the embed code

Zynektic and Ingenious like this.
  6. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

This is what I have. I have whole threads stuffed with YouTube embeds and the pages are fine. I also add a <p> tag to force them onto new lines, keeps it tidier.

Code:
    <p><iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{$id}?wmode=opaque&controls=2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>

7. Mr Lucky

Thanks for the suggestion but then I get this:

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 14.26.52.png

8. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Mr Lucky likes this.
  9. Mr Lucky

Thanks, I will test that one.

10. Zynektic

Zynektic Well-Known Member

This worked like a charm for me, page and videos load instantly. Thanks!

Ingenious likes this.
  11. Kintaro

Kintaro Well-Known Member

you're welcome! ;)

12. Zynektic

Setting up a new forum again, been awhile but without using the addon is it still okay to use this or has anything changed since?

Code:
    <p><iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/{$id}?wmode=opaque&controls=2" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></p>
    Cheers

13. W1zzard

W1zzard Well-Known Member

14. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

We did that several months ago, and it made the forum much faster. Especially for visitors on ancient computers and operating systems. The idea is that adding "&controls=2" keeps the embedded YouTube from preloading content. I would not even bother with an add-on: just edit what's there. I have @Jeremy to thank for this tip. ;)

Jeremy likes this.
  15. Zynektic

Yeah I added that on my old forum but closed the site in November and wondered if anything had changed since with how it was done, cheers.