[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address

[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address 2.2.1 Patch Level 3

No permission to download
HI Snog
I cannot install Country Flags by IP Address 2.0.11.1 under Xenforo 2.1.2
I am having this error during the installation

See my reply to your post here..
The two may be related.

Hey @Snog - we love this addon on our forum, along with a few of your other addons as well (including some premium ones we use).

I did a couple searches through the thread but couldn't find if this was discussed, it very well may have been so I apologize if you have addressed this already.

Have you given any thought in allowing a user to override their flag - say in a setting or custom field or whatever?

I know most people the flags are just fine but we have a few users that use VPNs from other countries and overriding the flag would be a great option for them.

I may look into creating a subaddon to do this if it's not something you've considered/or are considering in the near future.

Thanks a bunch!

It has been discussed and VPNs are also one of the things the add-on is intended to detect. So, there are no plans to add an override of the flag shown.

After installing this addon a couple of days ago, I've had a user in Scotland ask if they can have a Scottish flag (https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Scotland). For them, they are getting the UK flag appearing.

Is that something I could implement, or can this be an enhancement request?
Neither one, the country supplied by MaxMind is the UK, not Scotland. There is no Scotland in the MaxMind database. Thus there is no flag for Scotland in the add-on.

I just don't like the fact that this addon does not make the Location a dropdown. Users can put anything in location when they should put country name alone... Is there anyway to just automatically pick up their IP and write out the country name next to the flag?

I just don't like the fact that this addon does not make the Location a dropdown. Users can put anything in location when they should put country name alone... Is there anyway to just automatically pick up their IP and write out the country name next to the flag?
You can do the dropdown yourself with custom user fields.

The add-on picks up their location by their IP address. It does not, and never has accepted user input. It's sole purpose is to show the flag for the IP address of the user.

There would be no point in a user input because the moment their flag changes because of their IP changing, the input would no longer be valid in relation to the flag shown.

The add-on picks up their location by their IP address. It does not, and never has accepted user input. It's sole purpose is to show the flag for the IP address of the user.

There would be no point in a user input because the moment their flag changes because of their IP changing, the input would no longer be valid in relation to the flag shown.

I understand the flags display with IP but my question was about the field for Location. Flag appears great but why is the addon not holding the country name with this functionality, that is all I was trying to say.

I told you on Thursday.

And also you should start using the search function of the forum.

I suppose the Location field has nothing to do with this addon then.

I suppose the Location field has nothing to do with this addon then.
It never was.
The location field is a custom user field which you can delete (deactivate in ACP). You can also create your own fields, with dropdowns for example.

This addon displays a country flag based on the IP of the user. Also if you hover on the flag, the country name is displayed.

Hi @Snog - is this addon impacted by Cloudflare?

I recently enabled Cloudflare and a user has reported seeing some incorrect flags after that.

I did search the thread for "Cloudflare", but only found discussion of the error message (which I'm not getting).

Hi @Snog - is this addon impacted by Cloudflare?

I recently enabled Cloudflare and a user has reported seeing some incorrect flags after that.

I did search the thread for "Cloudflare", but only found discussion of the error message (which I'm not getting).
If the problem started when you enabled Cloudflare, then obviously Cloudflare is not returning the proper IP addresses for your visitors. You would need to contact Cloudflare to solve the problem.

But, you could try enabling the "This site is using SiteLock" option in the add-on to see if that helps first. That disables the proxy detection in the add-on and it may help.

You could also try this in your src/config.php file

Code:
// FIX IP ADDRESS FOR PROXY
$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] = $_SERVER['HTTP_X_REAL_IP'];

Top Bottom