XF 2.1 Searching for users by IP address

cwe

I get a lot of spam submissions from the contact page. Once in a while, I spend a few hours going through the spam emails looking up the IP address it was sent from and adding a DENY FROM line in my .htaccess file when it's from a TOR node, server company or from a country that I "don't like" (that isn't likely to ever send a real, english speaking human to my site).

99% of the IP addresses from the spam submissions fit into these categories, but occasionally I will see an IP address that is from an ISP where real traffic is possible. In these cases, I would like to search my existing user base to see if any existing users are accessing the forum from the IP address I'm evaluating. I've looked around in the XF ACP and I'm not seeing an IP address search function. Is there one?

Since this topic comes back when people search for the question you can find it in Admin CP -> Search for User, and at the top of the "Search for User" box change to "Search by IP Address." (Default is Standard Search.)

I know this thread is a bit old, but I'd like to know if I have to make a super moderator an administrator to be able to search for IPs (like the top box in the ACP). I have someone that I'd like to be able to do this (for user approval, for example) but don't want them in the ACP. Possible?

Of course, and it appears in stock form, XF doesn't allow moderators to search for users or IPs, as that function is only IN the ACP. My problem is that I have folks I want to administer user approvals that I don't want to have access to the ACP in order to do basic things like look for duplicate IPs. Even limiting admins to only manage users still exposes things on the ACP, like Tools.

Last edited:
Try it. Make a test account, make it a moderator, make it an admin, give that admin ONLY the ability to manage users and log in as him and see what you see in the ACP. Surprise!

Top Bottom