Overly aggressive profanity filter?

Yep, just tick the option "Match exact word" next to the word you are censoring.

Definitely needed to avoid censoring names of places. Scunthorpe is another one...

*Edit* there you go, it's filtered on here!

I assumed it was a general question related to the software.

If you had explained that in the first post I wouldn't have moved it.

Ok, going off the first post.

There is a member here with the username @**** <-- does tagging that name work, or is is censored?

Now, when you go to search from the forum list, searching that name, you get this:
Screenshot_17.webp

You can search for him with dic, and he will appear:
Screenshot_18.webp
I just happened to noticed all this when I clicked on napy8gen's member card. Why does the search not allow you to search for that name? Because of the filter itself?

You can't search for any word in the censor.

In this case, the user likely registered before censoring was enabled for this word (I think it was recent) - you can't register any name with a censored word.

You can't search for any word in the censor.

In this case, the user likely registered before censoring was enabled for this word (I think it was recent).

Ahhh. Explains how and why it is acting that way at least.

One last thing... would that member get the alert? The one that got censored in the tag itself?

So you can register under **** Grayson who is Robin in Batman comics but can't say his name in posts or tag him?

@Mike just a thought but would it be an idea to have an exceptions option for filtered words?

It's often easier to filter a word without exact matching due to the variations that people use. For example the 'c' word can be used with -s, -ed and -ing on the end as well as other possibilities. Not using the exact match option is the easiest for admins. However if there was an exceptions box for each censored word then you could add Scunthorpe into it meaning it wouldn't get filtered.

@Mike just a thought but would it be an idea to have an exceptions option for filtered words?

It's often easier to filter a word without exact matching due to the variations that people use. For example the 'c' word can be used with -s, -ed and -ing on the end as well as other possibilities. Not using the exact match option is the easiest for admins. However if there was an exceptions box for each censored word then you could add S****horpe into it meaning it wouldn't get filtered.

I have never heard anyone say c***ed or c***ing. This is new to me. Thank you :D

Top Bottom