1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overly aggressive profanity filter?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Sheldon, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Yep, just tick the option "Match exact word" next to the word you are censoring.

Definitely needed to avoid censoring names of places. Scunthorpe is another one...

*Edit* there you go, it's filtered on here!

3. Sheldon

This is here at XenForo, not sure why this is moved to Questions and Support.

Whatever.

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I assumed it was a general question related to the software.

If you had explained that in the first post I wouldn't have moved it.

5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Ah I see. Good job I registered here as Martok then as Dickson is actually my surname!

6. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Usernames are not run though the profanity filter.

7. Sheldon

Ok, going off the first post.

There is a member here with the username @**** <-- does tagging that name work, or is is censored?

Now, when you go to search from the forum list, searching that name, you get this:
    Screenshot_17.png

You can search for him with dic, and he will appear:
    Screenshot_18.png
    I just happened to noticed all this when I clicked on napy8gen's member card. Why does the search not allow you to search for that name? Because of the filter itself?

8. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Does that also include tagging?

9. Sheldon

I tagged the name above, it was censored.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can't search for any word in the censor.

In this case, the user likely registered before censoring was enabled for this word (I think it was recent) - you can't register any name with a censored word.

Marcus and Sheldon like this.
  11. Sheldon

Ahhh. Explains how and why it is acting that way at least.

One last thing... would that member get the alert? The one that got censored in the tag itself?

12. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

So you can register under **** Grayson who is Robin in Batman comics but can't say his name in posts or tag him?

13. Brogan

On this site.

It's up to the admin to set up their own censor.

14. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the user should receive an alert. Censorship occurs upon rendering, tagging occurs at post time.

DRE and Sheldon like this.
  15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Oh that's really cool that they still get the tag alert.

16. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

@Mike just a thought but would it be an idea to have an exceptions option for filtered words?

It's often easier to filter a word without exact matching due to the variations that people use. For example the 'c' word can be used with -s, -ed and -ing on the end as well as other possibilities. Not using the exact match option is the easiest for admins. However if there was an exceptions box for each censored word then you could add Scunthorpe into it meaning it wouldn't get filtered.

Sheldon likes this.
  17. Brogan

Whitelisting has been suggested.

Sheldon likes this.
  18. Dynamic

Dynamic Well-Known Member

I have never heard anyone say c***ed or c***ing. This is new to me. Thank you :D