1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Out of memory fatal error upgrading to 1.2.1

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Stuart Wright, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 83 bytes) in /home/sites/xf.avforums.com/public_html/sandbox/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 304

This was when rebuilding the master data. I've emailed the problem to our host. Thought I'd let you know as the amount of memory available has been fine for the rest of our testing on this sandbox server.

[Edit: reply from Tim @ Nimbus:
    It shows it's used more than 1GB of memory. That sounds like a memory leak. You can increase it in the config.php file but that might not fix your problem.]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

From the FAQ:

I am receiving a fatal error related to allowed memory size when performing certain functions, how can I increase or remove the limit?
    To increase the limit, edit the library/config.php file and add the following:
    PHP:
    ini_set('memory_limit'256 1024 1024);
    Change the value (in megabytes) to suit. To remove the limit set the value to -1.

Rebuilding is an intensive process.
    Do you have a lot of add-ons/styles/user groups/permission sets?

3. Stuart Wright

Thanks Brogan.
    39 addons, 3 styles, 19 usergroups.
    256 * 1024 * 1024 wasn't enough.
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/sites/xf.avforums.com/public_html/sandbox/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 304

What should I try next?

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Try setting the value to -1.

5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Make sure that you actually have the new files in place correctly. In 1.2.0, there was a possibility of queries being logged which can trigger issues. This should have been resolved in 1.2.1 though, so it shouldn't be using that much memory.

6. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Using this will kill your server resources.

7. Stuart Wright

I reuploaded the files and hit the back button on the master rebuild bowser instance with the above error. It happened again.
    So I tried to install the upgrade again and it said it couldn't and I should delete the upgrade lock file.
    Which I did.
    Now when I try to do the install, it wants to do a fresh one.
    I can't uninstall the upgrade lock file and I can't upgrade without clearing the data.
    The forum loads, but I'm guessing I need to run the master rebuild?
    So what now?

8. Mike

That error would've said that if you wanted to do a fresh install, you need to delete that file. You should just recreate internal_data/install-lock.php.

If you submit a ticket with FTP (or similar) and admin CP access, I can look at it.

9. Stuart Wright

Doing that now, thanks, Mike.

10. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

Stuart / Mike did you ever get this sorted?

11. Mike

This is what I discovered:

12. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

Cheers Mike. Think I was running into the same issue before.....