1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Option to change owner of media

Discussion in 'Media Gallery Suggestions' started by sinucello, Jan 30, 2015.

1. sinucello

sinucello Well-Known Member

Neal, Deebs, MrDeranged and 6 others like this.
  2. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Out of interest, why do mods upload images rather than users do this for themselves?

I'm not saying this shouldn't be implemented but I'm a great believer in users doing things for themselves. Personally I wouldn't upload images for users just as I wouldn't make posts on their behalf (and there's no built-in option to change the owner of a post).
  3. sinucello

We have a lot of older and not internet expierienced users. They need help or do things wrong and no matter how good your interface design is, this will always happen.
  4. DragonFlames

DragonFlames Active Member

I've run an online photo site for over 30 years and I can confirm that uploading for other people is a routine need.

A couple of simple examples...

One of our members travels a great deal and may take hundreds of large photos on each trip. He also has very slow broadband. He simply can't upload the photos, he has tried. What he does is to simply send me a CD after each trip. Great all around... but making it vital there is an option to 'upload as' whatever member you choose.

Another simple example is my Daughters.... I have four of them and they take very interesting photos.. they are however very busy with their jobs and social lives... so they give me their SD cards so I can edit their photos, choose the ones I want on my system, and put them online for them. Something I enjoy and look forward to doing.. again, uploading as each of them.

Likewise I can change any image to be owned by any ID.

In my view online photo software should generally allow as many options as possible, and Website owners can then simply choose the ones they want to use on this or that site.

Veer and Martok like this.
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Have you written a tutorial on how to upload a images to the gallery (with screenshots, of course) or even recorded a video demonstrating this? I did the former for my members (who admittedly aren't old) and they found that helpful.
  6. sinucello

yes, tutorial-post with images, screencast video and FAQ. You can get around some problems by using a "login-as other user" add-on but change owner of media would be better.
  7. denam

denam Active Member

Being able to change the owner of media is also important at our site. We will use images as virtual pets whereas the owner of an image changes on a daily basis.

I would recommend the following usergroup permission sets.

Registered usergroup permission
    - change ownership of own media

Moderator usergroup permission
    - change ownership by anyone
    sinucello likes this.
  8. Xanin

Xanin Member

+1 here for having a need to reassign media
    denam likes this.
  9. beanfan78

beanfan78 Active Member

Searching to see if anything had come from this. I am moderating threads and I wanted to convert a thread into a video embed. I couldn't do that so I created the item in the media section, but I need to re-assign media. There is no option (at least that I can see). I can do it in the database, but I just want a simple solution. TIA!