Option to change owner of media

Out of interest, why do mods upload images rather than users do this for themselves?

I'm not saying this shouldn't be implemented but I'm a great believer in users doing things for themselves. Personally I wouldn't upload images for users just as I wouldn't make posts on their behalf (and there's no built-in option to change the owner of a post).

We have a lot of older and not internet expierienced users. They need help or do things wrong and no matter how good your interface design is, this will always happen.

Out of interest, why do mods upload images rather than users do this for themselves?

I've run an online photo site for over 30 years and I can confirm that uploading for other people is a routine need.

A couple of simple examples...

One of our members travels a great deal and may take hundreds of large photos on each trip. He also has very slow broadband. He simply can't upload the photos, he has tried. What he does is to simply send me a CD after each trip. Great all around... but making it vital there is an option to 'upload as' whatever member you choose.

Another simple example is my Daughters.... I have four of them and they take very interesting photos.. they are however very busy with their jobs and social lives... so they give me their SD cards so I can edit their photos, choose the ones I want on my system, and put them online for them. Something I enjoy and look forward to doing.. again, uploading as each of them.

Likewise I can change any image to be owned by any ID.

In my view online photo software should generally allow as many options as possible, and Website owners can then simply choose the ones they want to use on this or that site.

Steve

We have a lot of older and not internet expierienced users. They need help or do things wrong and no matter how good your interface design is, this will always happen.
Have you written a tutorial on how to upload a images to the gallery (with screenshots, of course) or even recorded a video demonstrating this? I did the former for my members (who admittedly aren't old) and they found that helpful.

Have you written a tutorial on how to upload a images to the gallery (with screenshots, of course) or even recorded a video demonstrating this? I did the former for my members (who admittedly aren't old) and they found that helpful.
yes, tutorial-post with images, screencast video and FAQ. You can get around some problems by using a "login-as other user" add-on but change owner of media would be better.

Being able to change the owner of media is also important at our site. We will use images as virtual pets whereas the owner of an image changes on a daily basis.

I would recommend the following usergroup permission sets.

Registered usergroup permission
- change ownership of own media

Moderator usergroup permission
- change ownership by anyone

Searching to see if anything had come from this. I am moderating threads and I wanted to convert a thread into a video embed. I couldn't do that so I created the item in the media section, but I need to re-assign media. There is no option (at least that I can see). I can do it in the database, but I just want a simple solution. TIA!

This would be very helpful to me too, but for a different reason. Please make it happen even if this is something that can only be specified during upload.

I've successfully migrated from SMF to Xenforo from the forum side of things, however the media gallery we were using (Avea Media) is not one of the supported galleries for automatic importing by XFMG. So a read-only instance of my old SMF forum was set up so that members can access their old photos and resubmit if they want to. Around 700 photos exist in the old SMF-based gallery however even though it has been a couple of months now since the forum changeover not one photo has been resubmitted.

The new gallery could be a good opportunity to add the possibility to let the owner of an image change ownership of the image along with a history overview of image owners.

This is particularly important when you view image content as a form of value by itself that could change ownership. It could be traded by the forum users.

Would you kindly indicate the name of the table and relevant field ?

Thank you

Honestly, it’s safer using @TickTackk addon,

Top Bottom