Optimal versions for new install.

lobsterpasties

Hi I am looking to install a new version of the forum on a windows machine.

I believe PHP 8.0 is the officially supported optimal version.

What about the DB?

MySql or Maria DB - which is prefered, and which version is optimal please.

Hi I am looking to install a new version of the forum on a windows machine.

I believe PHP 8.0 is the officially supported optimal version.

What about the DB?

MySql or Maria DB - which is prefered, and which version is optimal please.
I prefer 7.x branch of PHP as there are some issues still with some of the 8 branches, you could try 8.0 though as I think that works.

As for Mysql v MariaDB your choice again. I prefer Mariadb 10.x you need innodb support as minimum but its all entirely up to you

XF recommends PHP 8.0, via the XenForo requirements.

As for MySQL or MariaDB, that's entirely down to personal preference. I think you'd find most people recommend MariaDB, out of the two, but I'm not so sure that most folks would ever notice a difference. I'd just recommend you use the latest version of either.

So database wise, I have been using MySql 5.5 on my VB forum since 2001. Every now and then it crashes and I have to do a rebuild, maybe once every 2/3 years or so.
Sometimes tables do get corrupted and I have to a repair/rebuild on post tables.

If I use MariaDb and the later version of it (10.x) then I assume it's the community version that people are using? And I assume from the command line it's a similar approach to rebuilding/repairing tables or is there some sort of GUI that people have.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather get it right at setup than have to go back and change/upgrade everything.

So database wise, I have been using MySql 5.5 on my VB forum since 2001. Every now and then it crashes and I have to do a rebuild, maybe once every 2/3 years or so.
Sometimes tables do get corrupted and I have to a repair/rebuild on post tables.

If I use MariaDb and the later version of it (10.x) then I assume it's the community version that people are using? And I assume from the command line it's a similar approach to rebuilding/repairing tables or is there some sort of GUI that people have.

Sorry for all the questions, but I would rather get it right at setup than have to go back and change/upgrade everything.

Unlike the MyISAM table types of yesteryear, the Innodb table type Xenforo uses are pretty much crash safe in all but the most extreme cases.

MariaDB, for most things, is made to be a drop in replacement for MySQL. The cli tools, you generally wouldn't know it's not MySQL you're using.

Just in case anyone is looking.

On Windows IIS.

PHP 8.2 ran nicely with XF other then the image support.
There is no Imagemagic dll that works on IIS with PHP 8.2.

The downloadable 8.1 dll versions don't work with PHP 8.2 but with 8.1 they work flawlessly.

Top Bottom