Opera Next - Chromium Build

I would love an opera chromium build!

It's basically just a Chrome with a new skin and a few extra features that aren't fully functional or usable without hotkeys.

I was mostly just curious of what people, who bookmark heavily, would want in a bookmark manager, and whether non-power users would also find that beneficial. Even though there are extensions that cover some of this for Chrome, it may be a project, in my spare time, I'd be willing to take on for the core if it made sense.

I agree with you, and hopefully most of those features are still on the table. Going completely native was a massive undertaking, and now that's out of the way perhaps they'll focus on those things. We'll see, I guess. I kind of like stash though, but then again I don't have near the amount of bookmarks as someone like yourself.

The DOM is often the real bottleneck for web app performance, and this where work on the engine (eg., the selector engine) itself can make a huge impact (as most web apps make heavy use of JavaScript nowadays, and many of them manipulate the DOM).

SilverCircle's example is a bit over the top. Basically Opera with tags would be perfect. Chrome's bookmark manager is crappy as all hell.

Yeah going native must have taken a lot of work, but it's a lot of the minor features that are missing that piss people off. I can wait for Bookmarks and Sync but pinning and stacking tabs, hotkeys for the speed dial and a better implementation of mouse gestures could have been done before they released this. This was just really rushed and it doesn't bode well for the future of Opera (at least thats how I feel). Stash is nice for a few things (I'm even using it) but it's mostly a temporary kind of thing.

While I liked Presto, it was a better idea to adopt Chrome's engine as it takes a lot of the work off of the Opera team to focus on other features (though they'll likely work on the engine too).

It's basically just a Chrome with a new skin and a few extra features that aren't fully functional or usable without hotkeys.

SilverCircle's example is a bit over the top. Basically Opera with tags would be perfect. Chrome's bookmark manager is crappy as all hell.

Yeah going native must have taken a lot of work, but it's a lot of the minor features that are missing that piss people off. I can wait for Bookmarks and Sync but pinning and stacking tabs, hotkeys for the speed dial and a better implementation of mouse gestures could have been done before they released this. This was just really rushed and it doesn't bode well for the future of Opera (at least thats how I feel). Stash is nice for a few things (I'm even using it) but it's mostly a temporary kind of thing.

While I liked Presto, it was a better idea to adopt Chrome's engine as it takes a lot of the work off of the Opera team to focus on other features (though they'll likely work on the engine too).

Fair enough, and I mostly agree. I'd probably be content with stash, as I tend to leave tabs open instead of bookmarking. They're already contributing back to Blink, and if Haavard's (@opvard) tweets are an indication of anything, it looks like some old features will make their way in before a final release. But SpeedDial with folders is meant to replace Bookmarks, or that seems to be their plan for now.

Fair enough, and I mostly agree. I'd probably be content with stash, as I tend to leave tabs open instead of bookmarking. They're already contributing back to Blink, and if Haavard's (@opvard) tweets are an indication of anything, it looks like some old features will make their way in before a final release. But SpeedDial with folders is meant to replace Bookmarks, or that seems to be their plan for now.

I don't think they'll replace bookmarks all together because that will definitely cost them the majority of their marketshare. In the community blog announcing the new browser someone from Opera also said that they plan to bring Opera Sync over to the new browser. Even the Chrome bookmark manager is better than folders in speed dial or Stash.

I also leave a ton of tabs open, but for things like design inspiration or jQuery scripts and the like I bookmark them for later use. I also bookmark a lot of articles in case I need them in the future.

I don't think they'll replace bookmarks all together because that will definitely cost them the majority of their marketshare.
Not so sure about this. The webkit-based Opera mobile is already out of beta and so far did not get a bookmarks feature at all. So maybe they really think it's no longer needed or can be replaced by some advanced speed dial page (may very well work for a mobile browser since fiddling with long lists of bookmarks isn't exactly fun on such a device - but desktop - different story).

Not so sure about this. The webkit-based Opera mobile is already out of beta and so far did not get a bookmarks feature at all. So maybe they really think it's no longer needed or can be replaced by some advanced speed dial page (may very well work for a mobile browser since fiddling with long lists of bookmarks isn't exactly fun on such a device - but desktop - different story).
Opera Next isn't beta or alpha and they add features to it most of the time.

I'm hoping it was just an idiot employee who spoke wrongly out of turn.

I've been using Opera Next for a good week now- initially it was much faster than Chrome. However after a few days of uptime and 30 tabs open it starts showing the same slowness when switching tabs as what made me want to leave Chrome to begin with. It's an improvement but not as good as it was the first couple days.

The lack of a bookmarks system is also annoying.

Flash player seems to crash often, I have to restart the browser at least once a day to be able to watch youtube videos. In fact about to re-start it now.

Chrome has memory handling issues and Google seems to deny it but everyone complains about it in the dev circles. Chrome is just awfully slow no matter what.

Opera just updated the Developer branch to version 25, which includes a new start page (including updated speed dial) and a new visual bookmark manager.

Hopefully they refine it and separate stash from bookmarks (as they over simplified things so much that it is now unintuitive).

I'm still waiting on a few things, but many of the features I miss have been re-added using extensions (Chrome and Opera ones) with the only ones I'm really waiting for being tab stacking/grouping and also hotkeys for the speed dial (which will be amazing with speed dial folders).

Top Bottom