1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 open_basedir restriction in effect

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Nighthawk, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Hi i am having trouble when i upload images to the media gallery. once the upload bar goes 100% I get a error : The following error occurred There was a problem uploading your file.

Also when i go in to admin there is now a server error loggged.

ErrorException: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/phptmp/phpPMHWLf) is not within the allowed path(s): :)/clientdata/php/pear-5-6:/websites/dr/droneevolution.com.au) - library/XenForo/Upload.php:91

I have an idea what it is but don t know how to solve it. As far as i know it has something to do with server permissions?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's a limitation/setting on the server (open_basedir setting in PHP config).

If you contact your host and show them the error details, they should be able to resolve it for you.
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

Thank you for the reply. I have contacted the host and they have told me to set the folder restriction to 777 (read/wright). I have done this using Firefox for the data folder but it didn't work.
    can anyone tell me which path i have to set to 777 file permission. I don't seem to find the path from the error message. I tried using filezilla search feature to locate the path but no success so far.
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a path you won't have direct access to, but it's where your host has directed uploads. Hence, this is really something they should change; changing permissions will not sort the issue. If you have the ability to apply a custom php.ini, you may be able to sort it using that (upload_tmp_dir setting), but you really shouldn't have to do that.