Open LiteSpeed

Erm, cant remember now, and have just re-wiped the vps to play from clean tomorow. It was one of the devel packages.
geoip maybe ? either way looking forward to more of your tests - heck you have enough servers for it :D

Is it worth making the move from Nginx to litespeed. I've never been able to get used to the nginx rewrites so being able to use the Apacheones again would be a bonus.

Is it worth making the move from Nginx to litespeed. I've never been able to get used to the nginx rewrites so being able to use the Apacheones again would be a bonus.
Wondering this as well. Just moved from apache to nginx and I feel it is loading faster but I prefer htaccess :(

yeah if you can't get a handle on Nginx rewrites without relying on others for help everytime. Then yes LiteSpeed Enterprise paid version would be better for full support for both .htaccess file and apache syntax rewrites. Or OpenLiteSpeed for apache syntax rewrites but minus the actual .htaccess file support - basically for OpenLiteSpeed you need to copy and paste your apache rewrites into it's Admin Console gui control panel.

Not being free? ;)
Limited to 150 concurrent connections on the "free" version?

OpenLiteSpeed is free :)

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/openlitespeed-vs-nginx-vs-cherokee.58352/#post-621446

nah OpenLiteSpeed has no concurrency limit. Only LiteSpeed Standard free version has limit :)

3 versions

1. LiteSpeed Enterprise Paid
  2. LiteSpeed Standard Free limited to 500 concurrency connections http://www.litespeedtech.com/litespeed-web-server-editions.html
  3. OpenLiteSpeed open source http://open.litespeedtech.com/mediawiki/index.php/Help:What_is_OpenLiteSpeed?
Slavik has an OpenLiteSpeed XF forum http://openlitespeed.com :)

One-upism gets boring.

So, back to my question to Floren, what does LiteSpeed (or OpenLiteSpeed if you want to get pendantic and pissy) lack?

context i guess from thread title :D
One-upism gets boring.
So, back to my question to Floren, what does LiteSpeed (or OpenLiteSpeed if you want to get pendantic and pissy) lack?
Hey @Slavik, i heard lost and found paging your name... they said someone turned in a sense of humor embossed with your monogram and would like you to come by and pick it back up. :)

And there IS a difference between LiteSpeed and OPEN LiteSpeed... After 14.5 years as an LEO I believe in trying to be exact in terminology as it reduces the confusion.

Now... on to the important stuff.
I see that Open LitesSpeed apparently does away with the concurrent connection limits that the commercial product has - as well as the 5 vhost limit that their free one does. That's nice and looks promising if the rest of the package is fairly comparable to the commercial (and free commercial) versions.

OK... are they still having problems with it installing under Debian? I know that there were a few hoops you had to jump through (installing curl, creating a nobody group, and some other stuff) in it's earlier iterations.
I see that there are centOS repositories, but none for Debian (other than a user created one) which means it must be compiled by the end user - which will intimidate numerous users. That's is the #1 thing that I see that it lacks right now compared to nginx.
I've got a test bed Debian server here at the house - guess I'll start playing with it to see how it works.

What does LiteSpeed (or OpenLiteSpeed if you want to get pendantic and pissy) lack?
For starters, the load balancing and cache (they offer simple load balancing). I need those 2 features in every single setup. You can use alternative software, but why do it when is all provided into Nginx? Second, the tuning options are VERY modest compared to Nginx. Probably they kept that for the paying version?

Last edited:
The paid version is very extensive in settings. I have never regretted buying it.
At $1000 a year for something that already is costing me around $3000 a year and brings in absolutely no money - I would. ;)
I can see if your site is commercially viable but for somewhere that is not it would not be - unless you just got money to burn.

At $1000 a year for something that already is costing me around $3000 a year and brings in absolutely no money - I would. ;)
I can see if your site is commercially viable but for somewhere that is not it would not be - unless you just got money to burn.

The core enterprise LiteSpeed market is actually not us end users, but web hosting providers who want to cram more people onto cpanel or plesk server, upgrading apache to a high end web server, thats why the pricing is as such.

Thats what theyre good at, just dropping litespeed in, clicking go and doubling the capacity of a server.

OpenLiteSpeed is trying to fill that gap of providing a LiteSpeed product to the end user.

The core enterprise LiteSpeed market is actually not us end users, but web hosting providers who want to cram more people onto cpanel or plesk server, upgrading apache to a high end web server, thats why the pricing is as such.

Thats what theyre good at, just dropping litespeed in, clicking go and doubling the capacity of a server.

OpenLiteSpeed is trying to fill that gap of providing a LiteSpeed product to the end user.
Yeah... but I was thinking of getting a server to play with and then just setting up to offer some free hosting. I've already set up one server with Proxmox for VPS stuff and am learning that. That's why my monthly bill is already so high - most of it is a learning area for me. I did find a user compiled version of it for Debian - but am having some "headaches" with it so still playing with it. If I can get it running I'm going to set my forum site up on it running on an alternative port to play with.
A test site (it will be permanent eventually) that is using it right now is at http://redneckhost.com.

Last edited:
Top Bottom