1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open LiteSpeed

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by euantor, May 12, 2013.

1. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

Not sure if anybody's heard about this, but LiteSpeed have released a lightweight open source web server called Open LiteSpeed.

Here are some of the listed features:

I haven't yet found any proper benchmarks compared to nginx, but I might try it out over this week. I wondered if anybody else has had a try and can provide some thoughts?

2. Liam D.

Liam D. Active Member

I just heard of this today from TAZ. This really sounds promising, and I might try it out within the week, although I wonder which features were removed.

EDIT

3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Litespeed and Nginx have pretty much always been on par.

p4guru and euantor like this.
  4. Slavik

If if they just included htaccess compatability, imho this would be THE web server of choosing for pretty much everybody.

Having said that, if the issue is just adding the htaccess directives to the web-gui.... then... hmm definately onto a winner?

5. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

That alone makes it a "Not only no, but HELL no!" for me.

Adam Howard and Tracy Perry like this.
  6. Liam D.

Liam D. Active Member

It still supports Apache rewrites via the Admin page (that's what I've heard, not sure), just not through .htaccess. I do the same for rewrites with NginX (having to manually open up configs) so I guess there wouldn't be a difference between the ease of use between the two. As for performance, LiteSpeed and NginX were two web servers that exceeded expectations, only NginX being better at serving static content IMO.

7. Slavik

Well i've just fired up a server and am giving it a play now.

8. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

euantor likes this.
  9. Slavik

So intial setup was easy enough,having some issues with mysql though, for some reason it doesn't want to connect to it.

10. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Dunno, but I can start this server.
    Code:
    [ERROR] Failed to start litespeed!
    Debian 7 fresh install VirtualBox.

-edit-
    I got it. Installation required curl to download PHP 5.3.24 from us.php.net and I dont have any curl installed.

So:
    Code:
    apt-get install curl
    will fix that.

I guess they should tell us about this. :D

11. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Okay, so I recommend to all who want to test it.

Install PHP before install Open LiteSpeed.

My bad. I mean:

Install curl and beware about your PHP version.

12. Slavik

Right yea, seconding this, you realy have to watch your dependencies with this.

13. Slavik

14. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

Looks pretty speedy to me. Hard to tell if that's the webserver or the hardware though. Will be adding a new droplet tomorrow to try it out a bit for my self.

15. Slavik

Obviously it will be fast due to it being a new install, no data no load etc.

However, in real time I spent maybe an hour from a barebones box, installing centos + deps and then getting it running.

I've never realy used litespeed before, however, seems simple enough, so will have a better play tomorow.

16. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

Seems default OpenLiteSpeed doesn't have MySQL support compiled into PHP http://vbtechsupport.com/2214/

Nice using PHP 5.3.24 or 5.4.14 ?

17. Slavik

5.3, was having some issues with 5.4, but think I may have worked them out now, will try again tomrow, getting late now.

18. Slavik

Id added it in myself, but had forgotten a dependency install, which was causing the issue.

19. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

which dependency was missing for you ?

20. Slavik

Erm, cant remember now, and have just re-wiped the vps to play from clean tomorow. It was one of the devel packages.