1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by silence, Sep 9, 2013.

1. silence

silence Well-Known Member

Note to self: don't delete the ibdata in /var/lib/mysql. They do stuff. Thank god for hourly backups.
    MFW:
    [​IMG]

Adam Howard likes this.
  2. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

:ROFLMAO:

3. rellek

rellek Well-Known Member

In this case, "ib" in "ibdata" stands for "InnoDB"... Thought, I might point that out before anyone gets confused. #cough :)

Adam Howard and silence like this.
  4. silence

Let me tell you why that is the worst choice ever. They call it 'InnoDB' so I would assume anything that involves 'InnoDB' would have AT LEAST 'idb' in the name. NOT JUST IB!!!! It's like if I called a SQL dump, .sl. Does that make any sense to you?!

rellek likes this.
  5. rellek

rellek Well-Known Member

Wasn't InnoDB something Oracle invented? This might explain certain things. :)

Adam Howard likes this.
  6. silence

I'm only 19 so I have yet to find that grudge with Oracle that everyone else seems to have. If they did choose that, I mean wouldn't they have reports as to WHY they chose it?

7. rellek

rellek Well-Known Member

Well, honestly I think they didn't think at all. One developer just thought that the technology needs a file to store stuff in and dropped it in ibdata. And if you ask him, he asks you back who would ever want to delete files from that directory.

Perhaps this is from before it was called InnoDB, maybe the codename was "Innovative and Brilliant", so this would make sense then.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the company that invented InnoDB is Innobase, so this would be where "ib" comes from. They have been acquired by Oracle, though.

Adam Howard likes this.
  8. silence

Ah alright, well the more you know, I guess xD