Oops

silence

Note to self: don't delete the ibdata in /var/lib/mysql. They do stuff. Thank god for hourly backups.
MFW:
25-house.jpg

In this case, "ib" in "ibdata" stands for "InnoDB"... Thought, I might point that out before anyone gets confused. #cough :)
Let me tell you why that is the worst choice ever. They call it 'InnoDB' so I would assume anything that involves 'InnoDB' would have AT LEAST 'idb' in the name. NOT JUST IB!!!! It's like if I called a SQL dump, .sl. Does that make any sense to you?!

Wasn't InnoDB something Oracle invented? This might explain certain things. :)
I'm only 19 so I have yet to find that grudge with Oracle that everyone else seems to have. If they did choose that, I mean wouldn't they have reports as to WHY they chose it?

Well, honestly I think they didn't think at all. One developer just thought that the technology needs a file to store stuff in and dropped it in ibdata. And if you ask him, he asks you back who would ever want to delete files from that directory.

Perhaps this is from before it was called InnoDB, maybe the codename was "Innovative and Brilliant", so this would make sense then.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the company that invented InnoDB is Innobase, so this would be where "ib" comes from. They have been acquired by Oracle, though.

Well, honestly I think they didn't think at all. One developer just thought that the technology needs a file to store stuff in and dropped it in ibdata. And if you ask him, he asks you back who would ever want to delete files from that directory.

Perhaps this is from before it was called InnoDB, maybe the codename was "Innovative and Brilliant", so this would make sense then.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the company that invented InnoDB is Innobase, so this would be where "ib" comes from. They have been acquired by Oracle, though.
Ah alright, well the more you know, I guess xD

Top Bottom