• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Online Status Indicator within Threads

Sure, it's possible. My initial take on it is that it's no one's business (except maybe the administrators/moderators) if I've chosen to set myself invisible. I think there's the possibility of some violation of privacy there.

However, if it's really a feature you're looking for, I should be able to update it.
Thank you Arik to add Invisible and Offline users in your hack :)

PS: Only Administrator can see Invisible user of course

Thank you Arik to add Invisible and Offline users in your hack :)

PS: Only Administrator can see Invisible user of course
Okay, let me see if I understand the requirements.
  1. Display a tag when the post author is online if he is online and not invisible.
  2. If the viewing user is not an administrator, display a tag saying the user is offline if the post author is offline or invisible.
  3. If the viewing user is an administrator, display the actual state of the user (online/offline) regardless of privacy settings.
I'm still not convinced that there's a need for an "invisible" tag. Regular users shouldn't see any difference between an offline user and an invisible one. Admins should be able to. However, I think I can make it so that you can differentiate between online & online invisible (for administrators, of course). Sound like a good compromise?

For point 3, the state also needs to be displayed for the invisible user - i.e. they can see themselves online/invisible.

1 and 3 would be great :)

If 2 was part of the whole add-on then I guess I can just use blank css to remove the offline indicator.

Okay, let me see if I understand the requirements.
  1. Display a tag when the post author is online if he is online and not invisible.
  2. If the viewing user is not an administrator, display a tag saying the user is offline if the post author is offline or invisible.
  3. If the viewing user is an administrator, display the actual state of the user (online/offline) regardless of privacy settings.
I'm still not convinced that there's a need for an "invisible" tag. Regular users shouldn't see any difference between an offline user and an invisible one. Admins should be able to. However, I think I can make it so that you can differentiate between online & online invisible (for administrators, of course). Sound like a good compromise?
Yes, it's right :)
For point 3, the state also needs to be displayed for the invisible user - i.e. they can see themselves online/invisible.
Yes, it's correct.

Got it. :)
1 and 3 would be great :)

If 2 was part of the whole add-on then I guess I can just use blank css to remove the offline indicator.
After thinking about it for a bit, I'm thinking that's the direction I want to take. Expose three different CSS classes (online, offline, and online-invisible), and let you take care of displaying it (or hiding it!) as wanted on your own. Makes it easier (fewer bugs) on the back end.

To get the green dot I posted above, just empty the span like so: <span class="userOnline"></span>

And then add your custom css to EXTRA.css like this:
HTML:
.userOnline {
position:absolute;
right:3px;
top:3px;
height:6px;
width:6px;
border-radius:3px;
background-color: #009900;
}

Perfect, i've done this for my forum :D

This is really great, so don't misunderstand me.

Is this a temp addon until it get implemented? This seems like it should be a core feature.

There were a few discussion thread regarding online status, here's one: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-can-i-tell-who-is-online-when-looking-at-their-avatar.682/

The developers decided not to implement it so far.

Kier though did have this to say on it...
I think a little pip in the user info block on postbit, and some sort of indicator on the profile page and member card are probably in order, but as has been mentioned before, I don't want to destroy the carefully designed minimal chrome that goes with posts, so it's not going to be something as in-your-face as a green background.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with the Flexile theme. :(
Neither Paul nor I can figure out why.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with the Flexile theme. :(
Neither Paul nor I can figure out why.
If I can get access to the ACP/templates I might be able to sort it for you Peggy.

I don't have Flexile installed though so can't work on it on mine.

If I can get access to the ACP/templates I might be able to sort it for you Peggy.

I don't have Flexile installed though so can't work on it on mine.
I think you still have access to my test forum, don't you?

Ok unfortunately there is a bug in the uninstaller. I used the uninstaller to delete this add-on from my forum, and it left behind the message_online_user template. (or message_user_online, whichever one it is).

So I went into debug mode to delete it, and once in debug, the template was gone. Just POOF!
Something you should probably look into Arik. :)

I never was able to get this to work with the Flexile style. :(
If anyone has, please let me know what you did.

Sorry. Xen hasn't been informing me of updates to this thread...so I've kind of missed some of the conversation. And, I've had a family issue to attend to, so I haven't spent the time I would have wanted looking at this.

EDIT: Unfortunately, there seems to be some comflict, somewhere, between this add-on and the Flexile theme, so I'll have to uninstall this. :(

Did it break your display somehow? Forum functionality? Or just not display? If you haven't worked it out yet, I can take a look this weekend, assuming its a free theme that I can download and install. :)

Ok unfortunately there is a bug in the uninstaller. I used the uninstaller to delete this add-on from my forum, and it left behind the message_online_user template. (or message_user_online, whichever one it is).

The uninstaller, like the installer, relies on XenForo for adding/deleting templates associated with the plugin. If it's not removing templates, that might be an issue with XenForo itself. Not trying to deflect responsibility...I'll take a look and submit a bug as appropriate (assuming one isn't already out there).

Top Bottom