Implemented Online Status Indicator / move outside of Avatar-image

Status
Not open for further replies.

erich37

The position of the "green dot" inside the Avatar is not great, as it destroys the appearance of the Avatar-image.
Depending on the Avatar-image, the "Online Status Indicator" is also hardly visible.

The "Online Status Indicator" should be positioned somewhere outside of the Avatar-image.

onlinenow.webp

Upvote 24
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Well my vote is for inside the avatar - I'd be concerned about the impact on layout when you make the user info area that much wider or higher, especially when viewing on a mobile, but as Brogan said, use css to make it look how you want to.

I agree. Also, what if a person's avatar is actually green? Then the indicator will be completely invisible.

What if you want it in the postbit, and the theme is actually green?

As stated a couple of other times, leave it as it is, and if needed, use a simple template edit or css to change the location of it. This quote right here covers pretty much everything needed to understand why....
This is one of those things which will never be agreed on by everyone.

This is one of those things which will never be agreed on by everyone.

True - but for such a useful feature it's a shame it is so discreet. My member demographic is quite old & many with dodgy eyes (myself included!) plus they are used to the big icon shown below. It would be a shock for them when we move. I appreciate the new feature can be altered via CSS but would it be a big job for someone who knows what they do to create a online/offline button like this?

Screenshot from 2014-07-17 10:43:08.webp

What if you want it in the postbit, and the theme is actually green?

There are probably a lot more forums that have at least 1 member with a green avatar than there are forums with green themes. Also, for members customizing the theme it makes more sense for them to have to change the indicator than it does for someone who wishes to use Xenforo right out of the box and might have members with a green avatar.

The green dot has box shadow so won't disappear on green backgrounds.
You can also further enhance it by using something like: box-shadow: 0 0 1px #fff inset;

Ehh , someone will (probably a few somebodies) will give us several CSS options after 1.4 is released.

well, it would be great to have an "option" in ACP to have an "Online Now Banner"......

online_now_banner.webp

onlinenow_profile.webp

:)

Last edited:
I agree. I'm not sure why this feature is so subtle by default. Just something for members to miss or have to have explained to them rather than being obvious.

Subtle and understated is the name of the game, clean and lean. It makes for more aesthetically pleasing design and doesn't pad out and crowd the page.

Like others have said, a few CSS tweaks and you can make it look like whatever you want. If your users do need education the use the new help page manager, create an entry and direct them to read it :)

Meh, I don't think it needs a banner. I think it would be better beside the username.

With that said, how about only making it visible if you hover over someone's avatar?

I guess that wouldn't suit mobile browsers so another suggestion would be to make it disappear when hovering over someones avatar or to make it permanent when a browser window is a certain size.

With that said, how about only making it visible if you hover over someone's avatar?

I guess that wouldn't suit mobile browsers so another suggestion would be to make it disappear when hovering over someones avatar or to make it permanent when a browser window is a certain size.

You can do that with CSS, and make it conditional for non-responsive pages. I already do that for private controls at the bottom of messages.

It makes for more aesthetically pleasing design and doesn't pad out and crowd the page.

Subjective of course. My members want an online or offline banner & even a location banner (helps 'localise' advice given). We also have a drop down allowing users to message the member, read their other threads or posts without having to go to their profile page. I call that enhanced functionality handled in a simple & elegant way. XF strikes me as too bare-bones in this regard but XF seems solid & well supported with plenty of add-ons & customisation & the best of the bunch for our needs which is why I've coughed up my dough for the licence & am commissioning add-ons to get us to our starting point.

As a non-coding admin my preference is going to be able to have the choice to have these things configurable via the ACP as I wouldn't know how to do a CSS tweak.

It's a good and very smooth version. I like it a lot, and if it don't fit to your needs, you may change it in your style.

I like it, as it would be actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom