Implemented Online status icon in postbit

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I figure any feature such as this can be designed to be turned off, much as we can prevent the display of post counts and other user data. From a moderation standpoint, it often helps us to see if a member is online, or has been online very recently (given the timeout).

I've used the add-on mentioned at the top of this thread, using a simple green, red (for online/hidden) or grey dot next to the avatar. It's been installed since 1.1 and we've never had to modify it in any way for 1.2 or 1.3. I prefer a simple dot rather than a word, or banner, as it is much cleaner and reduces clutter.

View attachment 72833

Still would like to see an "official" online indicator though, preferably as simple and clutter-free as possible.

What is the code you're using to get that dot?
Thanks

He means add something like this to the message_user_info template:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$post.last_activity} >= {$serverTime}-900">
<xen:else />
</xen:if>

The 900 equates to 15 minutes.
The "Online" and "Offline" could be substituted with phrases, images, whatever you wish.

I'll knock a TM up later when I have time.

The value will be wrong more often than not do to the batched updating of that field. Doing it properly really requires the session activity record.
Am I understanding Mike's comment correct that a different approach is needed than Brogan's code?

As Mike said, it requires fetching the session record.
The only way to do that is via an add-on, not a simple template edit.

Wait...which are we talking about?

I'm using this version:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/online-status-indicator-within-threads.8813

That was when it was more like a template modification, perhaps?

I've never installed this add-on:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/rt-online-status-ribbon.41691

It may apply to both, but I'm going to read through both threads at length to see what's up.

The first add-on is okay with resources.

The second one issues a query with each single post shown, thus using a lot of resources.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong then... here's what I have posted:
Code:
<xen:if is="{$post.last_activity} >= {$serverTime}-900">
                <div class="online-status-postbit">Online</div>
            <xen:else />
                <div class="offline-status-postbit">Offline</div>
            </xen:if>
If it was working I should see myself as being online, right?

Not working for me either. All users even those last posting <5 minutes ago show offline.

Yeah it's not a great solution. I've had users questioning it - one actually PM'd me asking how he can be offline while he's sending me a PM. Wish there was a true solution for this.

What does Xenforo excel at? User/member-interaction. And I strongly believe they should build upon this more (since on different levels it can be improved on considerably). If stuff like http://xenforo.com/community/threads/instant-message-with-friends-online.927/ will not see the light of day anytime soon (which would enable us at least -finally- to see immediately who of our friends (which actually do not exists as an entity on Xenforo...- are online) , then at least more simple functionality like displaying the online status next to the post will improve the social/interaction aspect of XF.

Why?

Because the only way to find out if someone is online is going to the forumhome and look at the 'Members Online Now' section. But the majority of our time is not spend on forumhome, but inside the discussion threads. It is nice to see who is online on the overall forum, but it adds an extra dimension and value to direct user-interaction if we can see immediately who is online in the context of where we are. I don't necessarily care if Miss Marple and hundreds of other members are online (who are displayed on the forumhome) if she has no connection with the thread that I am browsing or participating in.

<Liked>

Last edited:
What does Xenforo excel at? User/member-interaction. And I strongly believe they should build upon this more (since on different levels it can be improved on considerably). If stuff like http://xenforo.com/community/threads/instant-message-with-friends-online.927/ will not see the light of day anytime soon (which would enable us at least -finally- to see immediately who of our friends (which actually do not exists as an entity on Xenforo...-) are online , then at least more simple functionality like displaying the online status next to the post will improve the social/interaction aspect of XF.

Why?

Because the only way to find out if someone is online is going to the forumhome and look at the 'Members Online Now' section. But the majority of our time is not spend on forumhome, but inside the discussion threads. It is nice to see who is online on the overall forum, but it adds an extra dimension and value to direct user-interaction if we can see immediately who is online in the context of where we are. I don't necessarily care if Miss Marple and hundreds of other members are online (who are displayed on the forumhome) if she has no connection with the thread that I am browsing or participating in.

<Liked>
I agree. I know that Xenforo is built to be a forum solution first and foremost, not necessarily a social media system. But I think forums are being challenged by social media-like community sites that people are drawn to because of the instant interaction features those sites tend to have, like seeing if members of the site they're on are currently online at that moment(a feature that was a core function in my past outdated vb 3.8 installation) and being able to IM them and get an immediate response. I think forum scripts like XF should adopt a few more of these "instant gratification" interaction features that everyone is becoming accustomed to on many modern community/social sites. If the concern is having too much bloat, maybe consider creating official add-ons that can be plugged in for those who don't want the bloat.

I agree. I know that Xenforo is built to be a forum solution first and foremost, not necessarily a social media system. But I think forums are being challenged by social media-like community sites that people are drawn to because of the instant interaction features those sites tend to have, like seeing if members of the site they're on are currently online at that moment(a feature that was a core function in my past outdated vb 3.8 installation) and being able to IM them and get an immediate response. I think forum scripts like XF should adopt a few more of these "instant gratification" interaction features that everyone is becoming accustomed to on many modern community/social sites. If the concern is having too much bloat, maybe consider creating official add-ons that can be plugged in for those who don't want the bloat.

Completely agree with everything you write above. XF adapted several key functionality of Facebook (like system, alert/notification system, pm/conversation system, tag system... etc, etc) and it works wonders for the great forum product. I think these functions are pretty 'social'. And I strongly believe they should really take it further. What else can there be really improved in the thread/discussion area? This is the core of Xenforo and it works really great as it is. So what I (and many other forum owners) am waiting for is actually an extension of the social aspect:

Two important 'social' functionality/areas/content types are missing for us to be able to migrate to XF in the first place from vBulletin 3.8. And this has been the situation since 2010 actually. I wonder how much more years we need to wait to be able to finally transfer our User Albums and User Blogs to Xenforo. Albums and Blogs are a key aspect in social media and it is unfortunately completely missing in Xenforo (apart from third party plugins).

What does Xenforo excel at? User/member-interaction. And I strongly believe they should build upon this more (since on different levels it can be improved on considerably). If stuff like http://xenforo.com/community/threads/instant-message-with-friends-online.927/ will not see the light of day anytime soon (which would enable us at least -finally- to see immediately who of our friends (which actually do not exists as an entity on Xenforo...- are online) , then at least more simple functionality like displaying the online status next to the post will improve the social/interaction aspect of XF.

Why?

<Liked>

great analysis (y)

Showing the "Online Status" at all possible places (Forum-Thread, User-Profile-Page) would definitely help a lot in building and growing any Forum-Community.

:cool:

Contact a developer to have it coded. Im sure there are plenty of members who will split the costs. Me included.

Top Bottom