one user does not get email notifications of threads.

craigiri

After I moved my forum from EE to XF there is one user who reports never getting a email notification of threads.

He DOES get email notifications of conversations.

He tried various different email addresses with no success - and I think it cannot be spam filters because he gets emails from converations!

Any guesses? He ended up starting a new account, but I hate to have him leave all his old posts behind (he's a regular).

Is this for new threads too, or just the imported ones?

What about unwatching then re-watching an older thread - does that kick the notifications back in? (Just wondering if it's an import/migration issue?).

Cheers,
Shaun :D

He does not get any other than conversations. That is, he gets none on those he created or added to after the import.

This includes new threads which he created.

I have no other reports of the same thing - which is strange.

Everyone gets e-mails for new conversations by default.

You will only ever get e-mails for threads if you've specifically said you want to "Watch" the thread.

I think conversations and post emails are sent differently.

Sendmail was disabled on our server by accident and new post emails still got sent out but conversation emails weren't sent until we enabled Sendmail.

I think conversations and post emails are sent differently.

Sendmail was disabled on our server by accident and new post emails still got sent out but conversation emails weren't sent until we enabled Sendmail.

Hm, that sounds strange....I would think I'd be getting complaints from many other people if this were the case...

I had a member who would get notifications of new conversations, and also replies, except for one particular conversation. It was only when I enabled the return parameter in the settings (so I could get bounced back emails, if any problems) I saw this happening, it must have been something in the subject line that the remote email server didn't like, possibly thinking it was spam.

So, if you don't already get bounced emails back it is worth enabling to see if the notification is getting turned back and why. If you DO have returned emails come back and don't get them for this user, this might help rule out any issues at your end.

Hmmmm, I don't get bounces.....maybe they are being spammed, etc.
I changed the bounce address and will see if that changes anything....

I am fairly certain, the more I think about it, that this cannot be a XF problem...after all, when I put my email address in as that user, I get the notices.

The guy is an engineer - and you know that that means! He probably is overlooking something...

You could check the SMTP log on your server to see if the email is actually being generated - that would at least confirm it's not an XF issue. It might also give you a heads-up if the receiving server is rejecting the emails. (y)

You could check the SMTP log on your server to see if the email is actually being generated - that would at least confirm it's not an XF issue. It might also give you a heads-up if the receiving server is rejecting the emails. (y)

FYI, just to report back, the problem continues. I was able to duplicate it by creating a yahoo email address and substituting it for the user in question.

The email does not even make it to the sendmail log. (maillog).

As mentioned before and in other threads, private conversations and "contact us" emails are obviously sent using a different protocol, as those are going though.

I'm going to talk to my ISP and try to set up using SMTP instead of XF default.
The strange thing here is that it only happens with one or two - out of hundreds or thousands of users! Their email addys are not any different (verizon, etc.) than any others.

No errors in XF server log, etc.....

If it's any help - we had problems at one point with our e-mails going into spam folders. Different issue to yours, of course, but our solution might work.

We signed up for Google Apps and we now use Google's SMTP servers for sending e-mail.

The sending limits on Google's SMTP is something like 2000 per day which is actually quite high unless it's an exceptionally busy forum.

Thanks for the suggestion. We'd blow through that 200 emails in a busy hour.
Since we have a dedicated server - and our ISP is a small guy who specializes in corporate email, I think he will have a solution. It's probably as simple as using SMTP with settings he specifies.

It is strange, however, that only a few don't work. It doesn't make sense for them not even to make it to the sendmail program.

Further to this problem - I have duplicated it many times. I have a support ticket into XF as it appears to be a bug either in XF or perhaps in the particular users record. I had my ISP look carefully and it is as I said - the email is not even submitted to sendmail - so this has nothing to do with the email setup (since all others are submitted correctly). I have tried to "jiggle" that particular users record in numerous ways to see if that helped, but no go.

It very well could happen to more than one user, but it is my slow time of year and only reported by one. Still, most members are getting their normal emails.

Top Bottom