One Thing That Is Stopping Me From Buying Right Now...

Dante_B

Regardless of the dispute going between vB and xF, is the lack of mobile interaction. I've done some research and found there is an unofficial "mobile themes". My new community is targeting sneaker enthusiasts and 90% of my members depend on their mobile phones for communication. Mobile Themes are nice but does it have the functionality and capabilities to attach pictures from the phone to a new thread?

For Example:

An enthusiasts wants to sell a pair of shoes. At its convenience, the enthusiasts wants to take a picture on their mobile phone, easily create a new for sale thread and attach the photos. Is this possible?

Regardless of the dispute going between vB and xF, is the lack of mobile interaction. I've done some research and found there is an unofficial "mobile themes". My new community is targeting sneaker enthusiasts and 90% of my members depend on their mobile phones for communication. Mobile Themes are nice but does it have the functionality and capabilities to attach pictures from the phone to a new thread?

For Example:

An enthusiasts wants to sell a pair of shoes. At its convenience, the enthusiasts wants to take a picture on their mobile phone, easily create a new for sale thread and attach the photos. Is this possible?
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/responsive-design.1189/ My members are loving this.. And since io6 it also supports flash uploads for apple devices.. I think mobile specific styles are becoming deprecated to one degree or another in favor of a responsive framework.. Since installing this we have disabled tapatalk and discontinued the use of any mobile themes, and frankly no longer really care if XF develops a mobile style of their own. (unless its responsive)

And props to Arty for top notch development and support of a great much needed resource.

Have you considered installing Tapatalk or ForumRunner?
I have a few members on my vB forum always posting photos using Tapatalk.
+1 For tapatalk

Yeah, i noticed in other threads Tapatalk being suggested. It's just that extra step I want my members avoid from doing. I'll be honest when I stumble upon a forum that ask me to install an app, I'm too lazy too so i just hit cancel. lol. So thinking like a lurker, I want to make it more convenient.

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/responsive-design.1189/ My members are loving this.. And since io6 it also supports flash uploads for apple devices.. I think mobile specific styles are becoming deprecated to one degree or another in favor of a responsive framework.. Since installing this we have disabled tapatalk and discontinued the use of any mobile themes, and frankly no longer really care if XF develops a mobile style of their own. (unless its responsive)

And props to Arty for top notch development and support of a great much needed resource.

Very interesting! I'll look into this, if this is the answer to my prayers then I will definitely make the purchase sooner than i thought.

Agree. Same here.
Have Tapatalk, mobile style, forum runner, etc but since installing Arty's responsive addon, I remove the rest of those addons and no longer in need of XF mobile style.

Agree. Same here.
Have Tapatalk, mobile style, forum runner, etc but since installing Arty's responsive addon, I remove the rest of those addons and no longer in need of XF mobile style.

Just reading the Add-On details got me wet. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks to you guys for making it an easier decision on buying a license from xF. Now I guess i'll be on the same boat with everyone else when it comes to the trial with vB hoping xF continues on with their successful forum script!

Thank you!

Also, Is there a Classifieds Add-On available?

Not sure if there is a specific one, but lots of ways to do it!
I use a forum with read-only and no replies - so does Slavik (I think)...and he wrote an add-on where people can pay to get their ads up as stickies...

I don't think there is an "all-in-one" paid classifieds add-on.

Mine is here if you want to look - nothing special except forced prefixes and no replies.
http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/articles-for-sale-wanted-etc.10/

I use a forum with read-only and no replies - so does Slavik (I think)...and he wrote an add-on where people can pay to get their ads up as stickies...

I don't think there is an "all-in-one" paid classifieds add-on.

Mine is here if you want to look - nothing special except forced prefixes and no replies.
http://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/articles-for-sale-wanted-etc.10/

Looks good. Are your members able to post a classified ad with their mobile phones?

Sure, they can do anything they want by browsing on a mobile phone - uploading pics is harder with straight IOS, but tapatalk fixes that. Android works fine with or without tapatalk since flash (uploader) works and you also have some access to the device file systems on droid.

I will probably use the responsive style sometime in the future - I think there is no need any longer for a full mobile style because phone screens have gotten bigger and faster.

Yeah, i noticed in other threads Tapatalk being suggested. It's just that extra step I want my members avoid from doing. I'll be honest when I stumble upon a forum that ask me to install an app, I'm too lazy too so i just hit cancel. lol. So thinking like a lurker, I want to make it more convenient.
Your members would find themselves using Tapatalk (or ForumRunner) for other forums. Hell, they may even have Tapatalk installed on their phones and tablets now.
I installed both.

Tapatalk was ok when it was one of three options.. The bootstrap type grid the responsive layout plugin provides is top notch and as i pointed out earlier there are zero issues uploading images on IOS6 devices as well as android. the only thing about TT i miss are the push notifications of new alerts, but im having an app of my own developed that will push notifications out to my members through their smart devices that will make missing anything about tapatalk a thing of the past.

As far as im concerned TT is just another potentially problematic program that doesn't always play well with the forums it is installed on.. As far as im concerned it just one less headache i have to deal with.. I also like that the responsive layout plugin is something if it breaks i can work out on my own.. no more waiting on bug fixes from TT. (Double Alerts for months, etc, etc.)

The responsive plugin comes with tons and tons of out of the box options and setting to tweak to suit no matter how convoluted your forum is.

-1 on Tapatalk. -10 if I could.

As far as im concerned TT is just another potentially problematic program that doesn't always play well with the forums it is installed on.. As far as im concerned it just one less headache i have to deal with.. I also like that the responsive layout plugin is something if it breaks i can work out on my own.. no more waiting on bug fixes from TT. (Double Alerts for months, etc, etc.)

Thank you. I call it Crapatalk for a reason, and only install it since users demand it. I agree on the very poor lack of support. Worse is the lack of communication, and I dislike how, when I had things percolating nicely with VigLink, Tapatalk decided they were going to handle affiliate payout themselves. I won't go into it publicly (a lot of heated words were exchanged), but to say I'm not happy about this is a gross understatement.

If I could get rid of Tapatalk, I would. I distrust the company. I dislike their poor product support, their adding more features on top of broken ones, and how I have to create a separate directory in my forum installation which (as mentioned above) is doing low-level things on the forum that I can never be aware of. If any plugin or add-on or whatever is going to add functionality, I fully expect that it be installed via proper channels--through the standard XF directories as an add-on, and installed and configured as such. No excuses.

As for my phone, Tapatalk is usually kept "frozen" in my apps--files there, but inactive. What really ticks me off is that now with Tapatalk in use, forum members look like they are online when they really are not--the app polls the forum constantly to check for messages. So even if a person is not visiting the forum for a few hours/days/months, their idle phone is churning away with Tapatalk and sucking up our resources even when they are not using the forum. #fail

I use Forum Runner personally, but hearing that it was purchased by the same vile bunch that owns vB, I feel like I've made a pact with the devil just to moderate my own forums. I will be more than happy if a good official mobile theme for XF comes along in the next version. That, in fact, is my design motto for other sites I work with: a mobile user shoul never need an app to access my sites; they should natively support mobile in a format that is simple for

We don't use paid stickies, but we do have XenTrader installed and I must say it totally rocks! It's a great port and major update from the old iTrader we used on vB. I would not hesitate to recommend it. I like how it appears only when members are in the designated "trading" areas of the forum. (We have a "Marketplace" section that includes a classifieds forum, and three or four other buying/selling discussion areas; the XenTrader enhancements appear only when members are in that area. I had to hand-code that capability when I used iTrader in vB--nice to see it here!)

I just hope we can chip in a donation when our funds improve--we just had to shell out a huge sum for our server upgrade, so we've pretty much tapped things out for the time being.

We don't need a classified ads add-on however. We just have a protocol for posting in a standard forum area. We use thread prefixes (FS: for sale; FT: for trade; WTB: wanted to buy, etc.), and we request that 1) only one or two ads are posted per day; 2) only one bump every day or two; 3) members must be on the forum 30 days with 50 posts before they can access the Marketplace. First person to show interest posts in the thread, then follows up with a PM. For the most part, the area is self-policing and our staff only has to handle requests like minor edits and deletions. In the several years we've had a marketplace, we've only bumped only half a dozen members from it. Our classifieds area is very active, with pages of new posts and threads per day. Works really well for us!

Top Bottom