Implemented One search box for everything

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like it as it is currently. Easy and intuitive.
I find it highly unintuitive. If I search for anything, I look for the big search box. Why are there other search boxes hidden under links on completely different areas on the same page?

search.webp
Three links for searching all over the same page. As bad as a design only could be. Therefore my very constructive suggestion to put all the additional search clutter links popping up when you click on the Search... box.

Duplicate: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-search-boxes.2669/

How IPB does it.

ipb-search-context-dependent-jpg.18987

I wouldn't use IPB search for a reference. It's one of the areas when I used their product I found completely lacking. I often suggested tweaked and function to make it better, which was supported by others in the community, but fell on deaf ears of the developers..

Jamie

I wouldn't use IPB search for a reference. It's one of the areas when I used their product I found completely lacking.
Exactly what ?

The suggestion at hand isn't adopting IPB searching.

It is .. when in a thread ... the search box searches threads - unless the user changes it
It is .. when in a forum ... the search box searches forums - unless the user changes it
It is .. when in a gallery ... the search box searches galleries - unless the user changes it
It is .. when in a wiki ... the search box searches wikis - unless the user changes it
It is .. when in a store ... the search box searches the store - unless the user changes it

It is a "context-aware" search box.

I understand his suggestion wasn't to adopt IPB's method... I think Kier and Mike have their own style and way of doing things that are much better than others, so I know I don't have to worry about it being like IPB. :)

You showed a reference to IPB and I presumed you liked the way IPB did it. I don't. I used their software and as a user, and a admin of an IPB forum my opinion and my users opinions was it was lacking. As a paying customer I offered suggestions that got positive rep from other members, but nothing was done.

Being able to search the entire forum, thread or system is one of those things that will never 'fit' for all people.. everyone wants to expects something different..

As I stated, I trust Kier and Mike to continue to make this system better without being 'someone' else....

Jamie

I am going to read between the lines and suggest you don't like the Context Aware searching (the topic at hand).

Can you give some information about why you felt that context aware searching didn't work well ?

I really like the idea of keeping it simple and clean. I also agree that XF can do something better but IPB as far as I know is not a good example at all (n)

Top Bottom