One click upgrades for third-party addon

Alpha1

The one click upgrade function for core and official addons is awesome. It would be great if we could have the same for third party addons.

What I suggest is the following:
  1. To make use of this function addon developers must upload their release package to a server or service hosted by XenForo.
  2. Once the package is uploaded, it will appear in the admincp as an upgradable addon for those sites that have the addon installed.
  3. From there the addon would be upgradable by the same 1 click process as we can currently do with official addons:
xf21_oc_upgrade_addon.gif

BTW: I would have sworn that this suggestion already exists, but both google and the XF Search Engine does not expose such suggestion. If this suggestion already exists, then please link me to the thread.

Upvote 21
How would that work for paid add-ons? Having to upload them to an XF hosted service in addition to wherever they're being sold is gonna be a gigantic nightmare. Additionally how are license expiration dates going to be managed?

I'd rather prefer a system that let's developers specify an API endpoint for latest version (optionally with a clients license id, so they don't get prompted for versions they don't have access to) and optionally with an endpoint to retrieve the latest version. That's similar to how WordPress does it. Free add-ons can update from their market place, and paid add-ons can hook into the system with their own endpoints for a seamless experience.

Yes, those are excellent points. Thanks! Letting developers specify an API endpoint with client license ID for the latest version would probably be a much better idea.

Amended suggestion:
  1. To make use of this function addon developers must specify an API endpoint for their latest release package. Preferably with a client license ID.
  2. Once the package is uploaded, it will appear in the admincp as an upgradable addon for those sites that have the addon installed.
  3. From there the addon would be upgradable by the same 1 click process as we can currently do with official addons:

Ideally, I'd like this to be like OS package managers (apt, rpm, etc.):
Users can configure Add-on repositories (either manually, uploading a repository definition XML/JSON, etc.), xenforo.com Resource Manager could be one of those (built-in, available by default, enabled by default, etc.).

The system could then use the defined repositories to allow admins to search/install/upgrade Add-ons.
It should also use them to automatically check for (and optionally perform) upgrades if the Add-on is configured for upgrades (could have options like check for new versions only, auto-upgrade, etc.)

This could make keeping Add-ons up-to-date a lot easier and provide an integrated way to discover Add-ons just like Smartphoes have their stores, etc.

A bit like https://xenforo.com/community/resources/install-and-upgrade.6753/

Last edited:
Actually reading this thread made me think of Wordpress.

Has anyone else ever used it? You can search addons and themes within the admin login and add to your website with a click, then activate the feature. If it’s required to purchase then you can make the purchase.

The plug-ins will alert you when it’s outdated within the plug-ins page. We need that innovation here.

Im not using XenForo as intensive as before. Im making much more use of WordPress nowadays. Whenever I check back into my XenForo sites to update addons the functionality feels old school. Just because I'm used to the ease of automatic upgrades and one click upgrades.
The plug-ins will alert you when it’s outdated within the plug-ins page. We need that innovation here.
IPS has had that for a long time:

Last edited:
Top Bottom