XF 2.1 One-click upgrades and add-on install/upgrade from ZIP files

And here we are, already at the penultimate entry in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. If you haven't seen the previous entries about what's coming in XF 2.1, check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a... well... click, I guess... and make sure you enable email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Cannot install from archive as not all required directories are writable. Various directories must be writable by the web server user to install from an archive. In addition to the XF root directory, some or all of the following paths must be writable: js, src/addons, styles, src/XF/Repository/AddOn.php.

how to resolve?

how to resolve?

Make those paths writable. You need to change the permissions for those folders/files so that they are writable. You should be able to do it using your FTP client. If you don't know how to do that, ask your host and they should be able to help you.

Make those paths writable. You need to change the permissions for those folders/files so that they are writable. You should be able to do it using your FTP client. If you don't know how to do that, ask your host and they should be able to help you.

Thanks, I have found the reason for xen 2.1.0
Because it have folder root permission

Ran 2.1.1 upgrade from 2.1.0 in my dev. Smooth as silk. Took maybe 5 min. One click upgrades have to be my favorite admin feature of the new release. Will do my live on the weekend.

Is there a command we can run to fix permission issues?

Every time I go to upgrade an addon I get the dreaded

Cannot install from archive as not all required directories are writable. Various directories must be writable by the web server user to install from an archive. In addition to the XF root directory, some or all of the following paths must be writable: js, src/addons, styles, src/XF/Repository/AddOn.php.

I have fixed permissions previously to run the "install/upgrade" and they seem to have reverted back.

Is there a command I can run to permanently resolve this?

That's not something we even remotely have any control over. File permissions/ownership is strictly down to your server setup and configuration and not even really something we can provide support with. Definitely one for your host, or something you need to figure out with the help of a server admin.

That's not something we even remotely have any control over. File permissions/ownership is strictly down to your server setup and configuration and not even really something we can provide support with. Definitely one for your host, or something you need to figure out with the help of a server admin.

I had to fix a few usergroup permissions, but I think we are good to go.. Thanks

One-click XenForo upgrades

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you; doing upgrades can be a bit of a drag. Although we have always made the process as simple as possible, inevitably there are some common complaints about the process. Whether you're a total newbie to web-based applications or a seasoned pro, the process can be prone to human error and, aside from anything else, potentially take a long time.

Login to your customer area, download XenForo, open your FTP client, extract XenForo, upload the files, go to the install page, click to start the upgrade... That's just too many clicks.

View attachment 187067
OK, it's kinda two clicks, but we do need to show a confirmation and any relevant warnings 😉
The above process which consists of downloading, extracting and copying the files - basically everything except the data import takes around 30 seconds. YMMV of course with various server side factors but regardless of how you cut it, this is going to be quicker than your current upgrade routine.
We will check for new updates automatically every 1-2 days or you can manually check for upgrades from Tools > Check for upgrades.

But wait... there's more!
Gave this a go tonight, WOW! worked like a charm, didn't have to set anything up, just "worked!"

We keep having to delete support related posts from this and other HYS threads.

As always, support should be sought in the correct areas which are either the customer forums, or the ticket system.

Please expand this to include instructions about CHMOD and server user / file owner rights. Which seems to be the cause of the support requests.
There are too many permutations and variables involved.

What we have said is roughly pretty much all we can say without knowing your specific environment and configuration and we’re not in a position to know that.

Now it seems like we have to CHMOD 777 the root and all files below. Maybe you can mention what folders / files to make writable?
I'm just getting an error that the folders are not writable. No further information. So I have just used the old fashioned way of upgrading.

You know all of the files and folders that are in the normal XF download? They all need to be writable. The specifics of how to do it, whether it is chmod or chown or some other method entirely will be down to you, your host or your server admin to figure out.

Now it seems like we have to CHMOD 777 the root and all files below. Maybe you can mention what folders / files to make writable?
I'm just getting an error that the folders are not writable. No further information. So I have just used the old fashioned way of upgrading.

The simplest way would be to find the user that PHP is running as and chown -R user * from the root of your XF installation. This will fix your issue.

Top Bottom