On the edge

LPH

Hi

I'm very interested in XenForo and am thinking the time might be right to move away from vB. I still have a few questions.

1. I noticed uploading images and files is a challenge with the iPad. Is this being addressed or has this issue even been raised? Maybe I'm doing something that isn't getting the expected results.

2. The conversions are not for vb4. I found a script but wasn't sure if this can do a conversion using two different servers. For example, vb sites on domain1.com and XF would reside on domain2.com. Would I need to move the db or can I keep the vb db in its current position and delete after conversion? I ask because the vb db is over 3 GB and not easily moved.

3. I'm interested in a live thread feature. A featured thread (chosen in admin panel) is updated without page refresh during a set period of time. I found threads discussing this feature - or a variation - but wasn't sure if this would be part of the core in a future release.

4. If I purchase a 12 month - and do not renew - then am I required to remove the forums?

5. Is a "lifetime" license under consideration?

I have other concerns regarding a multisite setup of WP but maybe that needs to be in a separate post.

Thank you for your answers.

4. No. Renewal is only for updates. You can continue to run your forums on whatever latest version you are entitled to under your 1 year of updates and support. :)

Not sure about the other questions.

5. Is a "lifetime" license under consideration?

What do you mean by that?

To be able to use the current version for a lifetime?
Yes, you can use it forever.

Pay once and use forever all future releases?
That would be only for a cash grab,could not maintain it for long for the masses.

What do you mean by that?
Pay once and use forever all future releases?
That would be only for a cash grab,could not maintain it for long for the masses.

This was the question because I'm lousy about keeping up with renewals. Maybe a better question is - can an automatic renewal be set? And will these renewals be at the same price as purchasing a new version?

This is not a deal breaker - I'm curious more than anything.

1. The issue with the iPad is related to their browser - see this post from Mike: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ipads-and-xenforo.24863/page-2#post-302732

2. The import needs to be done on the same server.

3. It's not possible to say which features will be in future releases - you could always have an add-on developed for that.

4/5. As already stated, it's a lifetime license - support and upgrade renewals are all that is required. Currently it is $40 for 12 months, the first 12 months are included in the price of the license.

In regards to #2, it is possible to import via a second server, but it really depends on the MySQL permissions on the old server and on an average server, I wouldn't count on it working.

This was the question because I'm lousy about keeping up with renewals. Maybe a better question is - can an automatic renewal be set? And will these renewals be at the same price as purchasing a new version?

This is not a deal breaker - I'm curious more than anything.
Automatic renewals cannot be set but you can purchase multiple renewals/license extensions at the same time (so you could add 3 years, 4 years onto your license if you wished.

Renewals are currently $40 for a one year extension. However there is no guarantee this price will not increase. XenForo is currently on the renewal/subscription model so there is no difference between a small release and a major point release of XenForo. You don't have to purchase major new versions - as long as your license is current you are entitled to the latest version of the software. However, again this doesn't mean this will always be this way (see: vBulletin). :)

In regards to #2, it is possible to import via a second server, but it really depends on the MySQL permissions on the old server and on an average server, I wouldn't count on it working.
You would also have to correct issues with running the same installation on a different domain name (it would still think it's on the original domain, links would be broken, etc.)

1. I noticed uploading images and files is a challenge with the iPad. Is this being addressed or has this issue even been raised? Maybe I'm doing something that isn't getting the expected results.
Not sure. Is there a reason why this is really important ?
If you upload from an ipad, wouldn't you just dropbox it to a PC and upload from there ?
Xenforo's file uploading is a DREAM vs. vB4.

2. The conversions are not for vb4. I found a script but wasn't sure if this can do a conversion using two different servers. For example, vb sites on domain1.com and XF would reside on domain2.com. Would I need to move the db or can I keep the vb db in its current position and delete after conversion? I ask because the vb db is over 3 GB and not easily moved.
I suspect having them on the same server would be faster more reliable.
Failed conversions = major hassle.
Moving 3 GB = a relatively small predictable hassle.
= best to move.

3. I'm interested in a live thread feature. A featured thread (chosen in admin panel) is updated without page refresh during a set period of time. I found threads discussing this feature - or a variation - but wasn't sure if this would be part of the core in a future release.
hmmmmm.
which vB addon are you talking about ?
There is TaigaChat.
You could always archive a TaigaChat session to a thread.

I tell you what I think ... xenforo sort of makes all threads into LIVE threads.
The Notices bring to life thread replies and quoting.
Threads "naturally" convert themselves to "LIVE" threads by people quoting and liking each other.
Forced Live threads seems a bit passe, IMO. That was a great idea for the stagnant vBulletin forums ... but you'll see things differently on xenforo, IMO.
If you wanted to focus all discussion on a thread, you might STICKY the thread in the "What's New" (just made this idea up now, it isn't actually possible). I guess I'd have to know the details about your situation is ... and what you want to accomplish.
Regardless, this shouldn't really be a "deal breaker" anyway. :)

Not sure. Is there a reason why this is really important ?
If you upload from an ipad, wouldn't you just dropbox it to a PC and upload from there ?
Xenforo's file uploading is a DREAM vs. vB4.

I suspect having them on the same server would be faster more reliable.
Failed conversions = major hassle.
Moving 3 GB = a relatively small predictable hassle.
= best to move.

The end product is the forum files and db on the same server. The plan is to move the forums to a different server and so I was thinking I'd install XF in the new location and convert the vb4 db to XF - never moving the vb db off the "old" server.

hmmmmm.
which vB addon are you talking about ?
There is TaigaChat.
You could always archive a TaigaChat session to a thread.

AJAX Threads Pro

http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/vbecommerce.php?do=product&productid=114

I tell you what I think ... xenforo sort of makes all threads into LIVE threads.
The Notices bring to life thread replies and quoting.
Threads "naturally" convert themselves to "LIVE" threads by people quoting and liking each other.
Forced Live threads seems a bit passe, IMO. That was a great idea for the stagnant vBulletin forums ... but you'll see things differently on xenforo, IMO.
If you wanted to focus all discussion on a thread, you might STICKY the thread in the "What's New" (just made this idea up now, it isn't actually possible). I guess I'd have to know the details about your situation is ... and what you want to accomplish.
Regardless, this shouldn't really be a "deal breaker" anyway. :)

I was looking into the wp bridge so that threads could be highlighted in that manner.

First, I want to thank everyone on here for replying. WOW.
Second, I'm on the edge and am really trying to figure out the best steps so I don't lose 1.6 million posts.
Third, I'm only two days into reviewing the product - making a demo account - reading threads and making lists of questions.
Fourth, maybe I should hire someone to do the conversion from server to server so I can focus on how to improve the forums. I guess that is a possibility too.

Here are my notes so far:

Theme - Wordpress / Xen
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xendynamic-wordpress-theme.19856/

Importing

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/importing-vbulletin-4-vbseo-forum-to-xenforo.25194/

Configuration

Install Wordpress in the root
Install Xenforo in /community subdirectory.

QUESTION: will this work for multisite enabled?

There is a Xenforo Wordpress bridge - xenscripts.com

http://xenscripts.com/xenforo-to-wordpress-bridge/

There is also Style integration - XenDynamic - it pulls your Xenforo Style and styles Wordpress.

As an example, your thread (this thread) is the current LIVE thread :)
I'm sure you are glad it is :)

Let me reword - to a phrase I'm used to using - real time. FriendFeed was first to update comments live so a refresh was not required. Facebook bought them. LiveFyre does real time comments. Google+ uses this same feature. Polling would be a huge hit on a server so I was thinking this should be only for a highlighted thread.

Sorry for the confusion.

Does that Ajax Thread addon really give the performance benefits it suggests? Would the same apply to an XF version or would the different architecture to VB mean it wouldn't?

We have a few very busy threads where an auto-updating thread that reduces requests and server load would be very useful...

Top Bottom