1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG... Long lost Legos from my childhood... Found!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BirdOPrey5, May 18, 2014.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 Well-Known Member

My cousin suspected they were in this garbage pail at my Aunt's house.. if you zoom in you can see some pieces near the top... a contrux piece and some Lego...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tree had to die...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My cousin put some into a bin... well get them back next week hopefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoffi, Kevin, oman and 1 other person like this.
  2. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

3. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Joe, how the heck did they end up in a garbage can sitting outside for all those years?!

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

How... or why the heck was the garbage can never emptied during all those years?! :confused:

5. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

See you again in a few months...

Adam Howard and BirdOPrey5 like this.
  6. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Legos as a soil amendment / growing medium...huh...who'da thunk.:coffee:

Adam Howard likes this.
  7. BirdOPrey5

How this happened- I am at a loss.

For those of you who don't know, back in 2009 I got very sick and was in the hospital for a year. When I was finally released I could no longer walk, had a lot of wounds still healing, and basically just lived out of a hospital bed for another year and half- then another surgery, more wounds, anyway... you get the point. My "life" as a normal person ended in May 2009.

But prior to that I was by my Aunt's house (also my Grandmother's house) fairly often- we're a close family. Would show up just to show up some days.

So from say 2000 to 2009 I had absolutely no idea my Legos still existed. I could have sworn I was told they were thrown out back when I was in college- and truth be told, I didn't care at that point it my life, so I just filed it away and never concerned myself about it again.

Why my aunt and cousin would let them sit there for so long without ever asking me if I wanted them back I have no real idea- I am just so glad they actually kept them.

8. OSS 117

But the tree... :(

wedgar likes this.
  9. BirdOPrey5

Take solace in knowing that from its death many Lego trees will now live again. (y)

Amaury likes this.
  10. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised on what plans will grow in.

11. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

Your comment got me thinkin... a spoof ... he should build a pot out of those legos with drain holes and all and replant a tree in it just to yin and yang the buckets whole cycle of life and all or something like that.

Adam Howard likes this.
  12. OSS 117

But trees > plastic pieces that you step on.

Adam Howard likes this.
  13. BirdOPrey5

Debatable. However if you love trees so much by all means plant as many as you wish.

14. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

A trashcan going ~10 years without being emptied is still what this story should be about...

Adam Howard and Daniel Hood like this.
  15. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

Or that the legos didn't lose any color or start to deteriorate at all...

Adam Howard likes this.
  16. OSS 117

In addition to a large yard, I bought some land behind and to the corner of the property. I've got about 40 trees growing, mostly fruits. I just hate killing a tree. It's always sentimental for me. :p I've got a few elaborate and cheap methods to keep wild life away. Most of which the city wouldn't like, but they don't need to know.

Adam Howard and BirdOPrey5 like this.
  17. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

One word comes to mind from this thread... Hoarder...

18. OSS 117

Only from UV.

Actually, anytime I need something from my folk's garage I come across stuff I haven't seen in years. The last time I dug through boxes I found stuff I made in school, you know, art projects. I was probably 12 or 13 at the time. That was nearly 30 years ago. Jesus.

19. Daniel Hood

Daniel Hood Well-Known Member

You're talking about things being kept in a safe place; I'm talking about pieces of plastic being kept in a trash can full of dirt, outside, for years. Maybe the dirt would have kept it away from UV rays like you pointed out, but the pieces of plastic still would have broken down at least a little.

Amaury likes this.
  20. OSS 117

By what? Soil? Water? If that were the case, we wouldn't see decades old plastic washing up on the shores intact. Salt water is highly corrosive. Wouldn't that have done something to the plastic? If not, what makes you think regular old tap/reclaimed water will?