OMG... Long lost Legos from my childhood... Found!

Especially since it looks like a species of oak. Such a shame.

I should have mentioned earlier, but as I said I'm not one of those tree huggers. Doc recommended something like gardening to relieve stress back when I was younger. It helps with anger and stress, and helps me keep my allergies in check by exposing myself regularly to pollen and other contaminants.

I've bought many trees since I bought my house, but also have grown my own. Funny thing is, is that the best tasting fruit was grown by seed and not the grafted trees. o_O Usually it's the other way around. Green thumb, I suppose.

I've only killed a few plants. One by sun burn and the others by using the incorrect formula ratio and concentration for fertilizer. I grow about 10 different varieties of mints. You know, for cooking. Mostly mojitos, since drink making is cooking in some way.

One word comes to mind from this thread... Hoarder...

Not at all... that house is the most immaculate one I've ever been inside. They have very few decorations... but what they do have hasn't changed in 20 years aside from thing like carpet/flooring/painting/kitchen/etc...

You're talking about things being kept in a safe place; I'm talking about pieces of plastic being kept in a trash can full of dirt, outside, for years. Maybe the dirt would have kept it away from UV rays like you pointed out, but the pieces of plastic still would have broken down at least a little.

The trashcan wasn't purposely filled with dirt. This was water and soil that naturally accumulated over the years.

Most plastic will become brittle when exposed to UV but the nature of how it was stored only a small few were ever in direct UV exposure and once that layer of dirt formed it actually protected the pieces below.

Now that I am cleaning the pieces I am testing some for brittleness- basically trying to bend them to see if they break- so far so good.

Could the plant not have been repotted or, and call me crazy for suggesting this, planted in the ground?

I suppose it could of though where they was stored there is no shortage of trees, but no where to plant it on their property- you don't want such a tree close to your house and Brooklyn lots just aren't that big. They had to cut down a big tree in the yard years ago when it got too big... Actually they had to cut 3 trees down over the years for growing too big. Heh... I wonder if there is some small local vortex helping tree growth...

I grew an oak tree from seed once.

Kept it in a (big) pot for a few years and then when it was about 1.5m tall, took it to a local woodland area and planted it.

That was around 12 years ago...I wonder how it's getting on?

I am still missing an answer as to how the trashcan can possibly go that long without being emptied!!

If that happens, I'd seriously hate to see what else had just been left alone for that long there...

I am still missing an answer as to how the trashcan can possibly go that long without being emptied!!

If that happens, I'd seriously hate to see what else had just been left alone for that long there...

It wasn't a trash can used for trash- it was a clean/new (at the time) rubber-made can purchased specifically for lego storage. It must have been in a back corner of the back yeard and lost its cover at some point.

So you see why I'm surprised that this naturally accumulated water and dirt didn't damage the legos? lol

It would only take one autumn for leaves to fall and fill the void left in the barrel, once they fall no uv, once it rains they won't be blow away, by the time spring comes those leaves are pretty much the start of a compost pile on top of said legos. Completely plausible I suppose since by itself water and dirt will never destroy a lego in a single persons life time.

Soaking in Cascade and water- some pieces are like new, others need some individual brushing...

957IMG_1181.jpg

That was around 12 years ago...I wonder how it's getting on?

My wife and I bought a house after being married for 6 months (that was almost 30 1/2 years ago the 25'th of this month). When we bought the house we planted a small live oak (about 1ft. tall). Last time I went by that sucker was about 40 foot tall and had one heck of a trunk on it. It survived a tornado that went through that area (the house was severely damaged).

I've done the same. When I was a kid and we moved stateside, the neighborhood our folks bought was filled with oak trees. We only lived there for about a year before selling and getting a bigger and better place. No oak trees. Eventually I did spot some and collected the acorns, froze them and planted them out in the nearby park. One of them is alive today, the others just died. I haven't had much luck growing them without buying pre-strat seeds online.

I did, by total accident, grow a small magnolia tree. No idea of the variety, but I ended up keeping to for 3 years before giving it away to the parks and rec. dept. head of our city, a close friend. It's being container grown now.

Top Bottom