oh Dear...Global threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tori

I am a bit shocked too see this is not default in xenforo(Even free forums have this)

Global threads that appear in EVERY forum? Like if i wanted my site rules to be in every forum?

Granted i could create a seperate forum category like i have seen on some xenforo sites but i still cant believe there is not global announcement feature(Notices do no count)

Is there an add-on for this?

I am a bit shocked too see this is not default in xenforo(Even free forums have this)

Global threads that appear in EVERY forum? Like if i wanted my site rules to be in every forum?

Granted i could create a seperate forum category like i have seen on some xenforo sites but i still cant believe there is not global announcement feature(Notices do no count)

Is there an add-on for this?
Yeah ask Bird0Prey5 for it. I got it running on my site. Threads that show up in some of the other subforums, show up in The Global Forum www.8thos.com

I haven't seen an addon for this. Notices are the closest thing but that's not what you want.

Here's another idea... I really like what Hyperion did with the Nodes As Tabs addon. He added a thread to the navbar with a FAQ for his site. It's very visible that way:

http://theinfinityprogram.com/index.php?threads/faq-nsfaq.4275/ (thread as tab using a link node and some creative organization)

If not that then you can post an addon request to get some one to make the exact feature you want:

http://xenforo.com/community/forums/resource-and-add-on-requests.68/

This is probably a stock feature in most forums. In my old one they were called announcements and always showed up at the top of the forums. When you created one, you could specify "in this forum" or "in all forums" as well as the usual other stuff (closed, etc.).

They differ from stickies in that you can make them global.

An ideal system would be able to make them global, this forum or THESE forums.

Notices is actually much better for a lot of stuff, but not as good for some. An example would be a welcome notice and forum rules. It would be nice to have the same one in each forum in many cases, so that when people land in a forum via google, etc. they see this at the top.

Tori, there are definitely a lot of things missing from XF - some are by design, I suspect, in order to lighten the framework. Others are just probably further down the list of priorities. I have not found anything, though, that I have been unable to easily work around.....and the cool stuff like Notices, Likes, etc. opens up new possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom