Now that Xenforo 1.1 is out, let's talk about version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly.
But integrating a new editor is a huge task.

You only have to look at all the resolved bugs related to the current editor due to bugs with the editor itself or browsers to appreciate what would happen if the editor was changed.

I'm assuming you mean my signature link. Actually, the keyword advertising is something I make no use of and never have. Those who know my forum can check that - its a very educational student focused forum in a medical niche.

My main reason for suggesting this is actually for improving usability and participation. The are many industry specific terms on my site (currently on vB) so when terms and acronyms such as APH, PPH and others that I can define are shown in user created posts a mod automatically links those keywords to a glossary definition of the term - this allows users not so familiar with the terms to understand posts in the context of how they written. That is my only use of such a mod - Forgive me for feeling that many niche sites (ie, technical, medical, educational) could use something similar.

I added the keyword advertising / monetisation bits because frankly its an obvious 'other use' for the add on. I tried to think of all uses so that there were many carrots for development. For what its worth, the keyword advertising downsides as you mention I agree with, but thats not what I would personally use it for anyway - others might.

I'm a little insulted you find some warped alterior motive in my post feldon - I had the best of intentions and never thought for a moment it would be perceived that way. [edit] in fact, i have rewritten that post to remove keywords advertising references... people will discover monetisation uses anyway and maybe they should not be promoted so much, sorry.
Thank you for clarifying your position and updating your original post to make clear the background for the suggestion.

I saw this:
I would like to see a freeze on 'forum' feature bells and whistles being added and for the team to address some of the core barriers that are stopping some forums from migrating.
and then your signature suggestion, and put two-and-two together as you were saying that xF should hold off on 'forum' feature bells and whistles until they address core requests and that you were putting forward your suggestion as something xF should be prioritizing. So it was in that vein that I responded.

As for a CMS, I know there's no obvious money in xF being interoperable with Wordpress. From a business sense, the obvious avenue is to write your own CMS and cash in on the upsell. But I still believe that chasing Wordpress and Joomla is counterproductive. They're too big, with too large a third party developer base. A CMS is as good as its plugins and modules and what people do with it. And nobody is doing a darn thing with the official vB CMS.

Possibly.
But integrating a new editor is a huge task.

You only have to look at all the resolved bugs related to the current editor due to bugs with the editor itself or browsers to appreciate what would happen if the editor was changed.
I see. But it should be instant as is normal in other forum software, not waiting 4-5 seconds each time an image link need to be pasted.

For me a CMS and a basic gallery from Xenforo thats what i ask.
I wish people would realize what they're really asking for here. Most of us have seen vB4's CMS system, and the mess that it is. We also likewise admire Wordpress or other similar systems, and wish that in xF's case we'd get something like that.

So, do you guys realize what we're asking for? A Wordpress-quality CMS system? REALLY?

We're asking Kier and Mike to basically write a xF-quality project from scratch for CMS, reinventing another Wordpress (nothing less will do, see vB4's CMS), when other programmers from other companies have already done that, and their work is, at the present time, already on the level of xF quality in their own CMS domain?

Are we being rational, and realistic, here, or just wishful thinking?

Bridges are not that easy to pull off if you want to maintain the community feel. Consider that a decent bridge would allow CMS plugins to function and would replicate users to both systems, avatar share, tie into the xF notifications system, inherit XF styles, and so much more. I havent found anything that comes to close to a bridge that seemlessly integrates look, feel and user experience whilst maintaining xF social features.

To be fair, a CMS's primary function is to store articles / blogs / whatever.... essentially, its just content. xenForo's primary focus is content also and lets face it, articles and blogs are just another content type like posts and pages. The majority of the functionality needed by a decent CMS is already present in xenForo it just needs a few moire content types and another presentation layer imo. It's hardly a from scratch project but I do appreciate that Kier / Mike are focusing on other things for the forseeable.

... and that you were putting forward your suggestion as something xF should be prioritizing.
Noooo... its not a priority, its a feature suggestion to improve usability mainly upon niche sites.
... But I still believe that chasing Wordpress and Joomla is counterproductive. They're too big, with too large a third party developer base. A CMS is as good as its plugins and modules and what people do with it. And nobody is doing a darn thing with the official vB CMS.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. xenPorta is actually a very very good step towards a CMS and its getting better all the time. Where it falls short is dependant on each individual site and modifying to suit a sites needs is way better than nothing and arguably way better than bridging a massive fully blown application. That said however, everyones needs are different.

There are not really comparable to IP.Gallery in features. There exist no import script so they are not really an option.
Well, I've imported all the albums from my old vB forum into the XF Albums add-on. Users love it, it's easy to use and it's not bloated with functions which are not really necessary. I've had PhotoPost Pro installed, but the users didn't like it at all. I don't blame them.

Here, this post (from another thread) pretty much sums up the whole of the issue:

It's said that 10% of websites on the internet now use Wordpress. If XenForo is smart, they will tab into this market.

Vbulletin hasn't and will probably never tap into WordPress. They are too busy making their own CMS which is EXTREMELY crappy.

Here, this post (from another thread) pretty much sums up the whole of the issue:

Given the option between XenForo bridged with Wordpress and just XenForo, I'll go with the latter. Trying to jam two or more pieces of software together to act as one is problematic at best. Not to mention I'm not fond of Wordpress in the slightest.

As I discussed earlier in the thread, bridges are not the way to go. There are just too many downsides. However, XenForo Ltd. doesn't necessarily need to make a CMS either. If the core software (all of the bits that the forum depends on) is general enough then it could be possible for a third party to create a fully fledged CMS, or XenForo Ltd. could do it at a later time. I made a suggestion about how to do this some time ago (not received well naturally). One thing to note is that if anything like this were to ever happen it would not be a 1.x release. The amount of work is just too great for that.

If you take a look at the importer for VB you *may* be able to customise that to apply to IP.Gallery. It wont be particularly easy but at least one side of the headache is solved (writing to xenForo)... you will just need to modify the vb stuff to make it applicable to IPB

As one of the most essential and important parts of forum software, the editor should not come from third party and work perfectly without and issues or complaints. I don't like the current editor at all. In fact, I dislike it to a degree that I prefer the vB 3.x one over this one. I did not feel this was priority the first year, but it should become priority at some point this year I think.

That would require them to make an update everytime a new browser came out which can get tiring.
why? good browsers keep functionality....

i would suggest to use htm5, because it is going to be a standard and you don´t requiere to have a powerful pc, only an updated browser that supports it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom