XF 1.1 Notices

Welcome to a new series of Have You Seen videos, demonstrating some of the new features and improvements to come in XenForo 1.1.

First on the list: Notices.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
http://vimeo.com/27033663

I noticed in the Test Messages Forum, when I put my mouse over either one of the tabs below the Notices (these tabs allow you to choose which Notice to view), the Notices stop scrolling. However, if I choose (click on) one, they will scroll eventhough I've left my mouse over the tab I've clicked on.
Don't know if this is a bug, or just my (IE9) browser, or...

How to make (html code) a welcome message for guest like xenforo has made?

I used this code
Code:
http://www.website.com/community/login/

but it goes to next page, I want to make it on the same page as xenforo has done.

I just upgraded, and went to Create a New Notice...

I simply put "test" as my title
and "test test test" as my message.
Then hit save and nothing shows up

What do you think about caching the notices? I assume they aren't cached since there's the option to disable notices if you don't use them to save a query per page view. It would seem to me notices are a perfect candidate for caching (a small amount of data that changes very rarely). I can't imagine a site having just a TON of different notice possibilities.

That being said, good job on the implementation. :)

What do you think about caching the notices? I assume they aren't cached since there's the option to disable notices if you don't use them to save a query per page view. It would seem to me notices are a perfect candidate for caching (a small amount of data that changes very rarely). I can't imagine a site having just a TON of different notice possibilities.

That being said, good job on the implementation. :)
The query only happens on session creation for registered users only, then the data (which is a list of dismissed notices, IIRC) is cached into the visitor's session. The notices themselves come from the central data registry, and so don't cost a query.

The query only happens on session creation for registered users only, then the data (which is a list of dismissed notices, IIRC) is cached into the visitor's session. The notices themselves come from the central data registry, and so don't cost a query.
Well that's an even better solution. Please disregard. :)

if i create a notice that i plan to reuse often, such as 'maintenance mode', if i allow them to be dismissed will they remain dismissed, even when turning the notice off then back on at a future date?
or would i be better off to not allow those kinds of notices to be dismissable?

is there a way to avoid the unintended 'animation' of a notice, where it is first rendering half size for a second before fitting the width?

You'll notice the page visually changing when using something like that, because it has to load the JS after the HTML has been displayed. You'll see similar effects like tabs jumping into place too, which does not happen when the JS is loaded first, because the JS can execute to format the page as soon as the HTML has been output.

Hi, im a complete novice as far as css is concerned.

In Kiers video, he shows how to include images and text allignment in the notices.
Can anyone point me in the direction of how to implement this myself.

Some code snippets would be great
Thanks in advance

Top Bottom