Not a bug, but annoying.

Chris M

When I view a forum, I want to view a thread I've never read before but it takes me to the last post in the thread when clicking the thread name.

This is highly annoying, please change this so it loads the thread from the first post like a normal forum does.

If your clicking on the thread from the forum home it will do this. Most likely it will stick because its a good way to view the latest post.

But if you browse into the sub forums and click the title it should go to the first post.

No this does this from a sub-forum view as well.

And it is rather annoying, yes being able to get to the latest posts is a great idea and I'm all for supporting a link/button/icon whatever to do so, but the idea of clicking on the thread is to view the thread, not have to go all the way back to page 1 of say a 14 page thread just to start from the beginning.

I didnt quite understand your post lol.

Basically, theres a star symbol there but the thread name should take you to page 1, the star symbol to the latest unread post.

Click on the time and you will go to the first post. this is logical. Click on the Time to view the post when it started ie the time it started. Click on the bolded title to view the last post in the thread.

I didnt quite understand your post lol.

Basically, theres a star symbol there but the thread name should take you to page 1, the star symbol to the latest unread post.

yes, that's what i'm saying ... try to click the star (you are over the latest post), after that click the 'first unread' ... you are still over the previously post ... have you understand it? :oops:

No I haven't. But even if I had that's still a flaw. I agree that a function to view the latest unread post is a good idea but I don't see why logical thinking has to go out the window - You click on the thread name to view it from the beginning ;)

I respectfully disagree, I think it should be smart. Goes to the first unread post or if you have not read the thread before then it should go to the beginning of the thread like normal and that's where the bug is i believe.

Perhaps an option to change how it behaves then. I for one prefer the "thread name" to take you to the start of the thread.

I don't understand this logic. Personally I love the way it's setup now. It's efficient and minimizes time wasted browsing around a thread trying to find where you left off. If you've never read a thread before, it will take you to the first page. That's expected. If you click on the thread title later, why would you want it to bring you back to the first post? You've already read all of that. Bringing you to the first unread post is much more logical in my opinion. :)

Call it personal preference if you will but this is how it has always been. Not everyone will want to be thrown around a thread especially if it's not working correctly and is taking you to the last post when you've never even read the thread before.

And besides, this is the way it's always been for years with many forum softwares and so far everyone has managed to keep their threads going and conversations in order, I don't see why an option to have it work either way is so much to ask.

As far as pragmatic uses, many people on my forums make threads for a specific project. Often, they like posting news at the end as they go, and keeping the first post updated with the most recent information/downloads, etc. To have to view the thread first, and only then be able to click the first page is unintuitive.

I'd suggest having the thread title as normal, having pages listed (so if they want to view the last page, they just click "Last"), and having the star or whatever take them to the first post that is not marked as read by the user clicking. The star should not be available for guests.

Top Bottom