Extremely annoying member

Which can kill a lot of other valid users accessing (think of a mobile user). The ONLY time I use an IP ban is when that IP is not an ISP but related back to a dedicated IP in a hosting environment. By banning IP's willy-nilly now, you take to big a chance of limiting access of valid users.
For mobile this is more likely only because people within the same region (say a small city) are going to bounce between connections much more than a home connection is going to change the IP (IP leases are long for most ISP).

This also assumes that you're going to have multiple users within the same region, using the same ISP/carrier who are going to be visiting your site... And unless you're one of the largest sites out there, it is also very unlikely that this would happen.

The reason to not use IP Banning is just that IP Banning rarely works as you can use Tor, VPN or a free web proxy to bypass a ban.

Last edited:
Tor, VPN or a free web proxy to bypass a ban.

We've blocked the known IP blocks of datacenters for VPNs, like DigitalOcean, Linode, etc. Completely killed the problem or shrunk it down to an unnoticeable level, and registrations are still up more than ever. A user should not be logging into our site and making multiaccounts with the known block of a datacenter for servers.

@Alvin63 that user sounds like a nightmare. From your posts on here, he's certainly earned a sanction or two, or he's just gonna see you as weak and carry on undermining you at every turn - it's an ego trip for him, gives him a feeling of power that you let him get away with it. Classic troll behaviour.

Now, without having seen what your forum is, its subject and not having seen this member's posts, I don't wanna be too prescriptive by suggesting a long ban, or permaban, thread ban etc, but you do need to restrict him in some way for a time so that he starts to realise that he can't take the piss out of you and get away with it. And the restrictions should of course escalate if they carry on.

I had a user recently who was a bit like that, really hyper, all over the damn forum, and subtly and not so subtly dissing me, perhaps because I'm naturally quite easygoing. They were always paying me so much attention rather than simply talking to me and others in a balanced manner like other members. They clearly thought I was a bit of a soft touch and some of my mods were going crazy for me to permaban him, but I said hold on for a bit to let them pay out enough rope to hang themselves with. I'd never had a user quite like this before and handling them was an interesting experiment for me. So, I kept the dialog going with them for a while giving them every chance to reform (which I knew they wouldn't) and also did restrict them for a while, too. Then, after they'd finally let out enough rope for them to clearly hang themselves with, I hit them with that lovely permaban after clear hints and warnings that they were out of order and a final message, which was just so satisfying! They clearly weren't expecting it and went mental trying to create new accounts to get round the ban, but either the forum autobanned them at registration, or I did from the approval queue and they eventually gave up and left us alone.

Moral of the story: you own the joint, you're the boss - never forget it. :cool:

Finally, if you want more specific advice or suggestions, or just to talk more about it in a more detailed way perhaps, please feel free to pm me with the forum link, the user and more details and we can chat. :)
Thank you. Yes and after some consideration tonight, I decided on a one week ban called "temporary suspension" and gave reasons. At least he can't argue back now. It was partly undermining me (which affects the forum and causes discomfort to others) but it was more serious than that as well as he was giving incorrect advice (then arguing with me when I corrected it!) and asking people to message him. I also suspect he may have been charging people for advice by PM, setting himself up as an expert, but I can't prove that. So I've updated the forum rules quite a bit to cover that. The forum is voluntary. And you're right, I worked my socks off for two years to build up this forum and have the respect of the members and I still work hard for people and am trusted. I was furious at him giving out incorrect info as if it was fact just to sound big. This member also annoyingly decided to introduce new terminology which was different to that everyone else uses - which is borderline really if they want to describe something differently, but I've updated the forum rules on that too - to stipulate the terminology/abbreviations used.

I prefer the idea of the temporary ban to discouragement as a temporary ban is direct and I can give sound reasons. It's a shame in a way because until the last three months some of his posts were very good, but he went a bit maverick.

I also agree with the way you describe it - I'm seen as easy going too - never been a problem before, but some people do see that as a sign of weakness. I think this guy is also highly competitive. A few months back an older member started a post thanking me for everything I had done (which frankly was embarrassing and I would rather they hadn't) - that was the first sign I had of this member being difficult - he was clearly miffed at the thanks and quite snarky about them! Considering he's one of the newer kids on the block. I do work my butt off for the members on that forum, for no charge.

So this is on my first forum, which has been running about two years, has about 800 members and a good ethos and community. There is one member, who has been around for just over a year - who has gradually got more and more maverick. He has always been very active, which is a good thing, but seems to now be behaving as if it's his forum by his style of responses and advice to others. Pompous and know it all basically. Not only that but completely contradicting the advice members have always valued from me - as the forum owner who built it up - the respect on there is what has always worked well.

I've said the odd thing and reminded him to keep it about the community and not set himself up as an expert but only base replies on own experience. That didn't last long. It's also getting confusing for other members and making them have less confidence in advice given. Not only that he is more or less "being me" if that makes sense. Giving personal advice - normally people say "the forum advice is usually xyz". I can't be more specific there and obviously people can have different opinions, but he is passing off the forum ethos as his own personal advice as some kind of expert.

He got well out of hand a few months back by making a bossy post to a member telling them to remove some identifying detail. Saying "take that down now". I deleted it and edited the post and contacted the member to let them know I'd removed the identifying detail (which actually was their own choice anyway). He isn't a moderator and he has no authority to start bossing other members about and not goign via mods or admin.

He apologised about that and said he was on his phone walking and did something a bit quick.

I thought - this guy is getting a bit manic. It settled down for a while. But I've had to discuss the odd thing with him again today as he is basically doing his own thing on the forum and some of it is more than just opinion - he's telling people what to do.

So basically I'm sick of it. He hasn't really done anything wrong to be banned for apart from winding me up regularly and coming across as a pompous know it all but they type of forum it is, any advice given is absolutely crucial and that's why the forum has an ethos and reputation I want to keep.

Any suggestions to put him back in his box? He is a prolific poster. But also patronising to others sometimes in his "enthusiasm" and these are serious matters for adult members - they are not kids.
So sorry to hear. When did @aussiefooty join your forum?

I get the same problems with people who are just on there to be "pests".
I noticed that there are a few people on here that think that this place is reddit.
It's not reddit and look it's not good to have somebody who's in your face all the time.
I got that on my forum with a bloke who is just a pain in the bum the whole time.
So all i do now is boot him every time he tries to sign up.
Banning his ip address is a good idea because then he can't sign up.
Deleting his account is another good trick.

Reactions: FTL
This is a very interesting thread to read. Thanks for posting this and for everyone answering.

I am not new to forums but I am new to being an owner of a forum. This is very good to read and to understand my role better as the owner/administrator.

Thank you for educating me but I'm sure others will have educated too.

We've blocked the known IP blocks of datacenters for VPNs, like DigitalOcean, Linode, etc. Completely killed the problem or shrunk it down to an unnoticeable level, and registrations are still up more than ever. A user should not be logging into our site and making multiaccounts with the known block of a datacenter for servers.
Blocking VPNs are registrations is an incredibly effective anti-abuse and anti-spam feature

Try using the 'User Discouragement' option in the ACP. If he comes back at you asking why the forum is acting up, just say it is automatically responding to his attitude and behaviour and if he changes tack so will the software lol. As proactive as he is, he is now having a negative impact on your site which you can do without.
what exactly does this option do?

I personally would have used discouragement on the user instead of blocking an IP from a known ISP, especially if blocking an entire block (you clearly stated that you blocked "including banning their full IP range on the server". That knocks out a lot of potential users.

It was an Invision Forum, Didnt have the luxury of discouragement. It wasn't an entire block, it was just the users IP address's, by their IP range block I meant the IPs they had used over the last 6 months, so maybe 4 or 5, sometimes just the 1.

Global ignore is an option too:
Your Avatar is making me hungry! So Global ignore puts their posts into a moderation area? Surely they would know their posts weren't appearing?

what exactly does this option do?

From the Xenforo manual

Discouraging users​

At times, banning a person may not be entirely effective. With the design of browsers, it's easy for a problematic user to register a new account. Discouraging aims to make using the site slow and painful for a problematic user, such that they eventually give up and leave.

A user can be discouraged by editing the user in the control panel and enabling the Discouraged option. The behavior of the discouragement system can be controlled by options in the User discouragement and discipline group.

Alternatively, specific IP ranges can be discouraged. This helps ensure that the behavior is maintained even when the targeted user is not logged in.

It aims to be both annoying and frustrating and it is very effective.

Your Avatar is making me hungry! So Global ignore puts their posts into a moderation area? Surely they would know their posts weren't appearing?
No it puts them on everyone’s ignore list. So they’ll keep trying to bait people into arguments and no one can see their posts. They can figure it out if they’re looking for their own posts while logged out.

Still don't quite understand. So if they're on everyone's ignore lists, nobody sees their posts. But they can still see their own posts. And presumably admin can see their posts. But if logged out they will notice their posts aren't visible? Is that right? So that means they are on ignore lists even for guests not just members?

Still don't quite understand. So if they're on everyone's ignore lists, nobody sees their posts. But they can still see their own posts. And presumably admin can see their posts. But if logged out they will notice their posts aren't visible? Is that right? So that means they are on ignore lists even for guests not just members?
Admins can see their posts if you choose to.

And yes, it does. That’s why it’s called Global Ignore. They’re ignored by everyone.

Ignore list doesn't work well on this software as the person you're ignoring can still comment on your posts.
Banning and deleting is more effective.

What do you use to block datacenters? I help admin a forum and over 95 percent of new members is from that.

Top Bottom