• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Nodes As Tabs (with tab selection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm using this add-on for the Home and News tabs, and once the season starts again, for the Fantasy F1 tab.

I am SOOOO lost by this mod. How do I create new tabs which will link to certain forums. I have a console site, I want them to go to the homepage where it's just 2 forums (Intros and Discussions) I want them to click tabs to go to a forum. For example

Home - Forums - Help - Sony - Microsoft

When they click the Sony link I want it to go to my 3 categories (PS3, PSP, PSP Mods)

I mean this is just ridiculous with all my forums I have:
http://www.consolediscussions.com/forum/index.php

You uncheck the category from displaying in the node tree, meaning it will be removed from the forum home page. You check to add the tab, and place the tab in the menu position you desire.

That's it.

The category, along with forums, is now gone from the forum home. When a user clicks the tab, the forums within that category ONLY will show on the page.

Is that what you wanted?

Think like a directory / hierarchy structure... you assign the uppermost of what you want to a tab, you assign what you want shown within that upper container.

I am SOOOO lost by this mod. How do I create new tabs which will link to certain forums. I have a console site, I want them to go to the homepage where it's just 2 forums (Intros and Discussions) I want them to click tabs to go to a forum. For example

Home - Forums - Help - Sony - Microsoft

When they click the Sony link I want it to go to my 3 categories (PS3, PSP, PSP Mods)

I mean this is just ridiculous with all my forums I have:
http://www.consolediscussions.com/forum/index.php

Edit your "Sony" node and make it a tab:

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> [click the node] -> Display As Tab

Screen shot 2011-12-13 at 1.02.03 AM.webp

Presumably your Playstation categories are inside of Sony, so those categories will show up when the user clicks on the Sony tab.

Ok now how do I get my PS3, PSP, and PSP mods under a Sony category, because so far it only turns the category into a tab.

Also when I click the link in the nav that says Playstation 3, nothing happens. =[

Also when I click the link in the nav that says Playstation 3, nothing happens. =[

"Sony" is a top level category which requires you to enable a certain setting. Right now you should be seeing a warning message on the Display Node Tree page as shown in this post:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/page-5#post-291241

Ok now how do I get my PS3, PSP, and PSP mods under a Sony category, because so far it only turns the category into a tab.

Edit those nodes and set their parent to Sony:

Admin CP -> Applications -> Display Node Tree -> [click the node] -> Parent Node

"Sony" is a top level category which requires you to enable a certain setting. Right now you should be seeing a warning message on the Display Node Tree page as shown in this post:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/nodes-as-tabs-with-tab-selection.23295/page-5#post-291241
This is going to take me a bit to get use to, I come from vBulletin, so nodes and all this stuff confuses me. I looked at the post and it said it was fixed in a new version. I downloaded the latest version and if I am still suppose to use this code, where do I put it?

This is going to take me a bit to get use to, I come from vBulletin, so nodes and all this stuff confuses me. I looked at the post and it said it was fixed in a new version. I downloaded the latest version and if I am still suppose to use this code, where do I put it?

"Node" is just a generic term that means categories, forums, pages, and links. There are four types of "nodes."

There is no code to consider here. I was only linking to that post for the picture. You should see that warning right now. The warning explains how to fix the problem with your category tab.

You got some talent man, I love how helpful and active XF is. One thing I did have to do is change the PS3 back to viewable node and set the Sony category to hide, because when both PS3 and Sony were hidden, I would click the tab and it would take me to a blank page lol.

You got some talent man, I love how helpful and active XF is. One thing I did have to do is change the PS3 back to viewable node and set the Sony category to hide, because when both PS3 and Sony were hidden, I would click the tab and it would take me to a blank page lol.

Yeah good point. It's only necessary to hide the one node that is the tab.

I have an idea for transforming this mod into a Directory via Prefixes:

It would be great to have Forum-Nodes as Main-Tabs and "Prefixes" as Secondary-Tabs.

What gets me thinking is: how to add 50 Prefixes into the Secondary-Tabs?
Maybe having a drop-down-box showing all Prefixes per Forum-Node?

Adding a drop-down-box into the Navigation-bar which shows a list of Prefixes (e.g. a list of 50 different Prefixes per Forum-Node).
Clicking onto the Prefix within the Drop-Down-box will direct you to the threads in that specific Forum which contain this Prefix. Literally showing all threads containing a specific Prefix in that Forum, the same as the "Prefix-Filter" we already have in XF.

Showing ALL Prefixes of that specific Forum-Node, even if there are zero threads (yet) which contain that specific Prefix.

Similar to this mod, but having it all within the Navbar:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pfps-com-br-thread-prefix-listing.22091/

Is this possibe at all ?

That sidebar template modification works. The only "gotcha" is that it will be a basic sidebar (just the user block) without the extra information (such as online users) that is present on the index page. An addon is required to fully duplicate the sidebar content from the index page.

I have an idea for transforming this mod into a Directory via Prefixes:

It would be great to have Forum-Nodes as Main-Tabs and "Prefixes" as Secondary-Tabs.

What gets me thinking is: how to add 50 Prefixes into the Secondary-Tabs?
Maybe having a drop-down-box showing all Prefixes per Forum-Node?

Adding a drop-down-box into the Navigation-bar which shows a list of Prefixes (e.g. a list of 50 different Prefixes per Forum-Node).
Clicking onto the Prefix within the Drop-Down-box will direct you to the threads in that specific Forum which contain this Prefix. Literally showing all threads containing a specific Prefix in that Forum, the same as the "Prefix-Filter" we already have in XF.

Showing ALL Prefixes of that specific Forum-Node, even if there are zero threads (yet) which contain that specific Prefix.

Similar to this mod, but having it all within the Navbar:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/pfps-com-br-thread-prefix-listing.22091/

Is this possibe at all ?

The navbar can't accommodate 50 secondary links for lack of horizontal space. And a feature like this might constitute bloat. That prefix addon you linked to is a better solution in my opinion, and it can be used in conjunction with my addon.

The navbar can't accommodate 50 secondary links for lack of horizontal space. And a feature like this might constitute bloat. That prefix addon you linked to is a better solution in my opinion, and it can be used in conjunction with my addon.

yeah, that's why I am thinking of adding those 50 Prefixes in a Drop-Down-box in the Navbar.
Not having them as Secondary-Tabs in the Navbar.

Having the Forum-Nodes as the Top-Level Tabs in the Navbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom