XF 2.1 Node usergroup permissions

ChrisTERiS

Sorry for the novice question, but still I'm not familiar with xenForo.

If I set usergoup permission to a category from Groups & permissions -> Node permissions, then what ever permissions I set per usergroup will be valid for all forums and subforums at that category? The current settings are the default usergroup settings for posting. Didn't changed anything after installation.

Thank you
Chris

Yep.
Nodes permission is greater than global group permission
That's not correct - permissions are cumulative/additive.

Nodes inherit their permissions from the global permission values, unless the node permissions are changed.
Child nodes will inherit the parent node permissions, unless their own permissions are changed.

Yes, If one usergroup is set no NO, than you set for one node YES for that usergroup, then is YES (cumulative).
Like I said, Nodes permission is greater than global group permission, and like Brogan said, it is cumulative ==> never in usergroup will always be never, but no in usergroup and yes in node ==> will be yes
Sorry, but english is not my first language, like not yours too ( Ελληνικά ).

I sort of think I understand the permissions system but I do not really understand what "global" means in this context. Is there somewhere I can view the Global permissions that the nodes inherit from?

Following Brogans tutorial, I set up the default Registered Users group with all the permissions I thought everyone would need. Then whenever I want to create a special permissions group I set all their permissions to Not specified (No) and specifically set the extended permissions I want them to have, that the Registered Users, do not have to yes.

If I want a node to have particular access or other permissions I select the usergroups under that node and set the permissions there. Usually that is only visibility but I may create a node where some users may only view while others may use the full range of features.

It seems to me that the usergroup permissions are as "global" as it gets. What I still do not understand is what happens if a permission is set to yes in the usergroup and then set to no in some node's permissions for that group. In XF1.5 the language is "Not set (no)" for usergroups and for nodes, the permissions are inherit/yes/revoke which I think makes it clear that revoke will remove the privilege from the usergroup. I suspect that the No in usergroup/node permissions in XF2 means the same as revoke in XF1.5.

If that is correct, I guess I can stop being confused about it. :)

We have our shiny new 2.1 site up and running and I decided it was time to clean up permissions because our admins still have their heads stuck in vB4.

We have a general education category and I looked at the category node permissions and saw that quite a few were displaying red to show thy had been modified. Since there is no special handling of any of the nodes at that level, I tried to reset the permissions of all the sergroups to Inherit. When I did that I expected to have all the red items change back to unmodified..

That worked for Administrators, but it did not work for Registered Users (2), Moderators (4) or Super Moderators (5) . I do not understand how that would be the case. Red does mean modified in this category doesn't it? If not, what does it mean?

Top Bottom