No obvious way to access "Your Account"

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Due to the recent changes, there is now no obvious way to access "Your Account".

I know that all I have to do is hover over my username and click one of the options in the menu and it will take me to that part of my account.
However, new members and those less savvy might get confused by this.

Is it worth just putting a "Your Account" link at the top of the drop down menu, just underneath "Sign out" for example?

I think that is the root of out problem Change the settings URL to a more abstract version xenforo.com/community/account so it can apply to more general things and everything else will fall into place.

Alerts is associated with "Your Account" but what does it have to do with settings??? xenforo.com/community/setting/alerts
Settings in of itself if associated with "Your Account" so it fits well
Watch Threads, Preferences, Signature, etc etc are all associated with your account but not necessarily with "Your Settings" per say.

So if we abstract this implementation then it should work.

Change the url from xenforo.com/community/setting to xenforo.com/community/account

Finally change the User X in the navigation to "Account" and have the dropdown with a Your Profile link in it and it should eliminate the ambiguity.

I think until the url names are changed to be what is intended, and the user card popup vs member page terminology clarified, this discussion may not be fruitful.

I think that is the root of out problem Change the settings URL to a more abstract version xenforo.com/community/account so it can apply to more general things and everything else will fall into place.

Alerts is associated with "Your Account" but what does it have to do with settings??? xenforo.com/community/setting/alerts
Settings in of itself if associated with "Your Account" so it fits well
Watch Threads, Preferences, Signature, etc etc are all associated with your account but not necessarily with "Your Settings" per say.

So if we abstract this implementation then it should work.

Change the url from xenforo.com/community/setting to xenforo.com/community/account

Yes, this is also a repeat of what I keep saying :).

Except this:
Finally change the User X in the navigation to "Account" and have the dropdown with a Your Profile link in it and it should eliminate the ambiguity.

... this is no biggie for me, but my opinion is still:

Why? Isn't it obvious that it (access to Your Account) could be found under the link so fittingly called 'Username'. I love the fact that it is not called Settings, but that everything related to You can be found in your Username dropdown. This is innovate thinking and in line with XenForo's social vision. You can not get it more intuitive than this! :cool:

And now I am done with this thread, because it keeps being repeat on repeat and repeat on repeating eachother. ;). I am sure M&K will come up with a good (hint) solution.

Various things but essentially arguing over nothing :D

LOL. In fact... I love this bikeshedding amongst each other overhere at XF's... I guess I am one of the experts ;). But... with super valid suggestions most of the time :p!

Bikeshedding... weirdly interesting word... I told you I should move to Britain!

Coming from the banana straightening business, I can tell you that it's not uncommon that a lot of work is done around something that's not desired by most. ;)

When I click on my name, this is the drop down I see

page-2-xenforo-community_1282581330848-jpg.1172

What a great improvement:

screen-shot-2010-09-16-at-12-18-45-png.2022

No more this duplicate 'Preferences' link, which made no sense to me in the first place, TBH. And I love the way they added this extra area for 'Show Online Status' and 'Sign out'.

The only thing I still would like to see is a 'Your Account' link (in line with this suggestion of the TS Brogan) above or below the 'Your Profile Pages'... then it is perfect.

I come back to my original question though - what is 'My Account'? There really isn't a 'My Account' page at all, it's just a collection of preference and overview pages, all of which are linked in the two columns of links in the menu there.

When we used to have a separate 'My Account' link, all it actually did was link to 'Your Alerts' - which is already there, and is a duplicated link from Alerts > Show All anyway.

I come back to my original question though - what is 'My Account'? There really isn't a 'My Account' page at all, it's just a collection of preference and overview pages, all of which are linked in the two columns of links in the menu there.

When we used to have a separate 'My Account' link, all it actually did was link to 'Your Alerts' - which is already there, and is a duplicated link from Alerts > Show All anyway.

I know, I know :). It is just that people more or less 'expect' a 'Your Account' link somewhere. Somehow that makes it a bit more clear/intuitive. It doesn't matter that it will be a duplicate link of 'Your Alerts' (which goes to http://xenforo.com/community/settings/). The TS stated that there is no obvious way to access Your Account and I understand/agree on (reminds me to [Like] the first posting! - hint to everybody) what he is saying.

... which is already there, and is a duplicated link from Alerts > Show All anyway.

Talking about duplicate links Kier, at this moment we have 3 links to the User's Profile in the UDM (User Dropdown Menu):
  • Clicking on my Avatar (*) bring me to my Profile,
  • Clicking on my Username bring me to my Profile,
  • and... Clicking on the newly introduced 'Your Profile Page', bring me to my Profile.
It doesn't bother me, but just to show that duplicate links don't have to be an issue/reason not to include an obviously named 'Your Account' link for people who think (like me) this would be better/an improvement.

(*) I thought this used to be a way to change your own avatar?

But if there's no "My Account" page, what would the link link to? That is the question. It would link to the profile page, which would be a 4th link to the same page.
TBH, neither I nor anyone I know (til you :) ) has wondered about a My Account link.
In my experience, people usually just go to their profile page, and WAA LAA, there is every preference they need.

But if there's no "My Account" page, what would the link link to? That is the question. It would link to the profile page, which would be a 4th link to the same page.
TBH, neither I nor anyone I know (til you :) ) has wondered about a My Account link.
In my experience, people usually just go to their profile page, and WAA LAA, there is every preference they need.

it would link to this page, at which you can change all your personal Profile settings, which is actually the "My Account"-page:
http://xenforo.com/community/settings/personal-details

Also, quite strange that the Settings-Page is actually showing "Alerts":
http://xenforo.com/community/settings

there should be ONE page at which you can change ALL your settings. And within the Drop-Down it should get linked to this page saying "Your Account Settings" or whatever.

Top Bottom