Nginx pagespeed on SSL

Thanks for the report, @HittingSmoke . I'll sure give it a try.

Good luck! I haven't done any real side-by-side testing but tentatively I'll say there's a difference based on my screwing around in the dev console to see what's served to my browser.

One of the most beneficial non-default options is lazyload images. That keeps images from loading until they approach the viewport. If you have a thread that's multiple pages long and someone has their posts-per-page set to max then they load a thread to only view the first post, that thread loads ALL images on that page even though someone is only looking for information in the first post. If you have lazyload images enabled then only the images in the initial viewport load substantial reducing the requests to the server and bandwidth used.

There's an inherent problem where the page is redrawn on each image load as you scroll but the insert_image_dimensions will correct for this by inlining the image dimensions forcing the browser to pre-draw space for the image even before it loads.

I feel like a lot of people load up Pagespeed and make their impression in the first five minutes of use with default settings. I've read the docs front to back and it's really something you have to configure for your use case if you want to get the most out of it. You also have to load pages from your site several times to see how it behaves when it's pulling pages from cache instead of looking at resource usage while it's analyzing new traffic. If you're serious about it read through the docs for each filter and enable/disable them as you see fit. I have a Pagespeed defaults enabled in my HTTP block in Nginx then I have a pagespeed.conf file I include in server blocks where I want the whole shebang of optimizations I've deemed don't cause problems. You can also disable default filters after they're loaded in specific location blocks if there's a certain place it causes problems.

I've been meaning to try the [BD] Attachment Store addon so I can get the benefits of Pagespeed for attached images but I haven't gotten around to it mostly out of laziness. I imagine that would provide a rather dramatic bandwidth and request reduction for image heavy threads.

Good luck! I haven't done any real side-by-side testing but tentatively I'll say there's a difference based on my screwing around in the dev console to see what's served to my browser.

One of the most beneficial non-default options is lazyload images. That keeps images from loading until they approach the viewport. If you have a thread that's multiple pages long and someone has their posts-per-page set to max then they load a thread to only view the first post, that thread loads ALL images on that page even though someone is only looking for information in the first post. If you have lazyload images enabled then only the images in the initial viewport load substantial reducing the requests to the server and bandwidth used.

There's an inherent problem where the page is redrawn on each image load as you scroll but the insert_image_dimensions will correct for this by inlining the image dimensions forcing the browser to pre-draw space for the image even before it loads.

I feel like a lot of people load up Pagespeed and make their impression in the first five minutes of use with default settings. I've read the docs front to back and it's really something you have to configure for your use case if you want to get the most out of it. You also have to load pages from your site several times to see how it behaves when it's pulling pages from cache instead of looking at resource usage while it's analyzing new traffic. If you're serious about it read through the docs for each filter and enable/disable them as you see fit. I have a Pagespeed defaults enabled in my HTTP block in Nginx then I have a pagespeed.conf file I include in server blocks where I want the whole shebang of optimizations I've deemed don't cause problems. You can also disable default filters after they're loaded in specific location blocks if there's a certain place it causes problems.

I've been meaning to try the [BD] Attachment Store addon so I can get the benefits of Pagespeed for attached images but I haven't gotten around to it mostly out of laziness. I imagine that would provide a rather dramatic bandwidth and request reduction for image heavy threads.
Are you using ssl/https forum also?

No. I had issues with mixed content warnings. Once 1.3 rolls out with the proxy I'm going to be implementing SSL full time.
Ow, That's why ngx_pagespeed works fine for you :)
When you'll be using https, you'll notice most filter will not work.

Top Bottom