Nexus 7 tablet?

I have mine already on pre-order. You can never go wrong with the Nexus devices. You will get the latest and greatest updates in a timely fashion. I already backed Chameleon, now I just wait.

I have a galaxy tab 10.1 and I use the hell out of it. So much simpler than firing up a laptop to take care of small things, or checking out twitter/g+/FB while watching tv or whatever. I definitely use it more than I thought I would, but once you force yourself into using it for some of the simple things, you will keep using it.

Russ

I just got the Galaxy Nexus phone, replaced my Desire Z, mostly because I hope google is better than HTC to update.... Asus has been good though, the 3 series always got updates just around when they were released by Google. The 4 update took some time, but as that is a bigger update, I can understand that.

HTC has always been crap with updates though, I had a HTC Windows Phone (6, about the worst phone I have ever had), and that didn't get updated either, at all..

I just got the Galaxy Nexus phone, replaced my Desire Z, mostly because I hope google is better than HTC to update.... Asus has been good though, the 3 series always got updates just around when they were released by Google. The 4 update took some time, but as that is a bigger update, I can understand that. HTC has always been crap with updates though, I had a HTC Windows Phone (6, about the worst phone I have ever had), and that didn't get updated either, at all..

The operating update issue does give an advantage to the iPad and even more to the upcoming Windows tablet. Many of the Android devices get orphaned in that the device can't run the latest Android OS or the mfg has customized the Android OS and needs to customize the latest version but has no economic incentive to do it and tries to sell users a new device to get new OS.

Microsoft tablet will do well because it is running an actual Windows 8 full OS which puts it a step ahead of Apple and Android tablets. I can and will replace my iPad2 and my HP Mini with a Windows 8 Tablet.

The operating update issue does give an advantage to the iPad and even more to the upcoming Windows tablet. Many of the Android devices get orphaned in that the device can't run the latest Android OS or the mfg has customized the Android OS and needs to customize the latest version but has no economic incentive to do it and tries to sell users a new device to get new OS.

Microsoft tablet will do well because it is running an actual Windows 8 full OS which puts it a step ahead of Apple and Android tablets. I can and will replace my iPad2 and my HP Mini with a Windows 8 Tablet.
MS is too late to the tablet and phone game. As they have announced they will not update existing devices to Windows Phone 8, sales of Windows phone devices is going to plummet. There is no incentive to buy a Windows phone now, the support will drop as soon as 8 is out. Why Microsoft decided to shoot Nokia in the foot like that is beyond me. Also, the significant market share of Android and iPhone, means that most people want to go with a platform they are used to from their phone.

For me, using it for actual work, it will have no advantage over iPad or Android devices. I can read PDF's, I can edit documents and I can read email on my Android tablet. As I can connect it to a docking station so it is more like a laptop, means I can work way more effective on that than I can on an iPad or Windows Tab. I don't see how the platform is going to give MS any sort of advantage, as MS is so late in the game, many business applications already runs on iOs and Android (AutoCAD, Citrix, Lotus Notes just to mention a few). Also, the high "toy" factor significantly influences decisions in companies, I see it in smaller companies and bigger companies, the CEO or IT Manager want a new toy, and suddenly iPad or android devices are standard equipment in the company.

Many of the Android devices get orphaned in that the device can't run the latest Android OS or the mfg has customized the Android OS and needs to customize the latest version but has no economic incentive to do it and tries to sell users a new device to get new OS.
You also have to remember that a lot of this is not googles fault, it is the hardware and more likely the carriers fault. ICS was released for the GSII MONTHS ago, but at&t and t-mobile are just rolling it out (and then only in small numbers). But why would they roll ICS to everyone, it will cut into their GSIII sales. Just like the galaxy tab (pretty much all of them). Why roll ICS out to the old tab?? All you are doing is stopping people from buying the the tab 2 (which is almost identical).

Then you start getting the carriers involved. Anything they can do to keep you under contract, you can bet they will do. So they drag their feet on rolling out updates to make sure that people are always upgrading to the newest phones and more importantly, extending their contract.

Russ

MS is too late to the tablet and phone game.

That's what they said about the iPad.

As they have announced they will not update existing devices to Windows Phone 8, sales of Windows phone devices is going to plummet.

No different than Android phone mfg. and their similar scorched earth policy of no upgrades buy new.

Those are phones not the tablets. The advantage of a full Windows OS tablet is you can upgrade the OS just like any other computer and it will replace two devices, tablet and laptop.

For me, using it for actual work, it will have no advantage over iPad or Android devices. I can read PDF's, I can edit documents and I can read email on my Android tablet.

For those with limited needs, same is true for iPad. There's a lot you can do but not being full OS there's a lot you can't. I have Parallels on my iMac for Windows stuff.

Because Windows tablet is full OS, they will get a lot of laptop and tablet sales. Likely the reason MS went the mfg their own Windows 8 Tablet is the computer mfg.s will be be reluctant to cannibalize their tablet and PS sales so Windows is just going for it. Also Apple and Google make their own. Apple cannot offer full OS tablet or it loses Mac sales so MS will have advantage. Likely Apple will follow suit with full OS tablet in future, they can only protect the laptop sales for so long.

No different than Android phone mfg. and their similar scorched earth policy of no upgrades buy new.
It is different, they have announced 1 more update for 7 before 8, and among the features was the bootsplash, IIRC. If that encourages you to buy a Windows Phone device now, with Windows 7. That is equivalent of Google announcing today that they will no longer providing updates for the upcoming Nexus Tablet, as there are still unreleased Windows Phones.

Those are phones not the tablets. The advantage of a full Windows OS tablet is you can upgrade the OS just like any other computer and it will replace two devices, tablet and laptop.
For those with limited needs, same is true for iPad. There's a lot you can do but not being full OS there's a lot you can't. I have Parallels on my iMac for Windows stuff.

Because Windows tablet is full OS, they will get a lot of laptop and tablet sales. Likely the reason MS went the mfg their own Windows 8 Tablet is the computer mfg.s will be be reluctant to cannibalize their tablet and PS sales so Windows is just going for it. Also Apple and Google make their own. Apple cannot offer full OS tablet or it loses Mac sales so MS will have advantage. Likely Apple will follow suit with full OS tablet in future, they can only protect the laptop sales for so long.
There are netbooks more suited for that task, at the same price, with better hardware. And most don't differentiate a phone or a tablet that much. They have an android phone or an iPhone, which they know and are comfortable with, why would they get a tablet that is different and unknown? A tab will not replace a computer, at least not as it is now, it is too clumsy and not capable of doing the same tasks at the same efficiency. The Windows Surface will use a Tegra chip from nVidia, as I understand it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great chip, for a tablet, but for a computer, not so much. Also, just look at multi tasking, no of the tablets I have seen does that anywhere near as good as a computer. Android does it best ATM, IMO, but it is still cumbersome.

Competition is always good, but I doubt Microsoft will manage to make an impact, we saw it with Windows Phone 7, when it was announced it was supposed to revolutionize phones, then it turned out it was a halfway finished product, and needed a major patch before being usable. Then Windows Phone 7.5 was released, and now they have announced EOL of Windows Phone 7, after 2 years or so. WP 7 is still marginal, and I doubt 8 be any different.

If you think the Surface can replace both your computer and tablet, all the better for you, For me, a tablet is far from being able to replace any of my computers.

It is different, they have announced 1 more update for 7 before 8, and among the features was the bootsplash, IIRC. If that encourages you to buy a Windows Phone device now, with Windows 7.
Talking full Windows OS tablets not phones. As noted, Android phone manufacturers likewise require dumping the old phone to get the lastest Android OS. This is also true of the Android tablets to a large degree.
There are netbooks more suited for that task, at the same price, with better hardware.
Netbooks are horrible. Ultrabooks and full power laptops are nice. A full powered, full OS tablet, now that should be a big seller.
And most don't differentiate a phone or a tablet that much.
Few use a tablet as a phone. Many use a tablet as a laptop.

The specs estimate it at 9 hours which seems to be prity good for a 7 incher. ;)

The estimated time is 8-9 hours for video playback, and 300 hours idle time (not in use). For e-reading, browsing the internet, and general app usage you will probably get anywhere from 10-12 hours.

My EEE Transformer has 12 hours (with docking) and a touchpad and keyboard docking station. Pretty much the only work tool I use while travelling.

The Transformer is good, though I'm probably giving mine to a friend when I get the Transformer Prime Infinity. Hoping they upgrade the RAM before they release it though.

It is running android 4 now, was released with android 3, so it has been pretty good. Not sure when they will stop releasing for them. I have the original though, not the Prime one...

Asus is one of the better ones at updating, as their changes are rarely intensive enough (Generally they just add additional tools and support for things).

That's prity good then considering.

I remembering purchasing a htc desire (no longer have it) at the same time my husband got his and he's still on android 2.2. I know it's not a tablet but it's a concern I have with all android powered hardware and a reason why I think they lack in that department. It is probably a major factor for the increased global activations but the tablet you have is the tablet I did originally set my eyes on for a while now but held back primarily because of bad experiences with my htc being stuck on an old OS.

Anyway, thanks for the the info. Hopefully I won't have this issue with the N7 when it arrives and the tablet gets OTA updates much like apple products do to keep the tablet/device uptodate.

HTC didn't update their older phones all that much (Which sucks, the Desire was an awesome phone). HTC, Samsung or any of the Nexus products will generally get updates fairly quickly. They also all have the best hardware.

I just got the Galaxy Nexus phone, replaced my Desire Z, mostly because I hope google is better than HTC to update.... Asus has been good though, the 3 series always got updates just around when they were released by Google. The 4 update took some time, but as that is a bigger update, I can understand that.

HTC has always been crap with updates though, I had a HTC Windows Phone (6, about the worst phone I have ever had), and that didn't get updated either, at all..

HTC is a bit better with their newer phones. I still don't go with them much because Beats audio pretty much blows, and I hate the use of gimmicks now (Though the kickstand is cool).

Talking full Windows OS tablets not phones. As noted, Android phone manufacturers likewise require dumping the old phone to get the lastest Android OS. This is also true of the Android tablets to a large degree.

Netbooks are horrible. Ultrabooks and full power laptops are nice. A full powered, full OS tablet, now that should be a big seller.

Few use a tablet as a phone. Many use a tablet as a laptop.

Microsoft fragmented their mobile market with the announcement of no upgrade path for Windows Phone 7 to Windows 8. They also have a lot of people who are not going to use their platform anymore, when they already have a negligible market share.

Also, phone updates are in the hands of the OEM, the same OEM's that are creating Window Phone products. If they choose not to update in a timely manner they will not update. Androids biggest flaw is that carriers have so much control and dictate changes for flagship devices. When you have a different device for every carrier with different hardware, it's going to cost more to update, which is a big issue as to why many devices get slow or no updates at all.

You're also generalizing ALL OEM's together, and where it is actually select OEM (At least for worldwide market) such as LG and Motorola (Who will probably be forced to update due to being owned by Google now). OEM's like HTC, Samsung, Asus, Acer and Toshiba (The last three mostly do tablets) are rather consistent with updating their newer hardware.

Most older phones aren't supported due to low RAM (The Samsung Nexus S almost didn't get Ice Cream Sandwich for example), underpowered CPU or other hardware issues. This is the same as Microsoft not upgrading their whole Windows Phone 7 line due to hardware restrictions (They kept phones under powered, even knowing that they would need better hardware in the future), or with how Apple releases dumb downed updates to different devices because the hardware isn't supported, or just to keep certain features limited to the newest devices (Like how Siri was exclusive to the 4S).

Most people do not use their tablet as a laptop, they use it as a laptop alternative for things like email, reading and surfing the web. Tablets, no matter what they are, cannot completely replace a laptop or desktop due to being underpowered, and not efficient at specific tasks (I wouldn't ever type a lot on a tablet for example). You can replace specific tasks, but you cannot replace more resource intensive ones with mobile devices.

Microsoft fragmented their mobile market with the announcement of no upgrade path for Windows Phone 7 to Windows 8. They also have a lot of people who are not going to use their platform anymore, when they already have a negligible market share.

Again...same is true for many Android phones that can't upgrade to newer OS. Again this is phones not tablets much less full OS tablets, way different market.

As for people who will never use MS again, yes of course. I've gone iMac, iPhone and iPad but I have Windows on the iMac and I have to have a Windows laptop. Same is true for at LOT of people so a full OS Windows tablet is going to real nice upgrade for me. It will replace my iPad and my laptop. A hit for MS no matter their other errors and omissions.

Most people do not use their tablet as a laptop, they use it as a laptop alternative for things like email, reading and surfing the web.

Most people CAN'T use their tablet like a laptop because the tablets are not full OS devices. Beyond that most people use their laptop for email and surfing the web, using forums, Facebook etc which is why tablets took such a huge bit out of the low end laptop market. MS will take an even bigger bite out of the low end laptop market with a full OS tablet and a small bite out of the tablet market.

Now if we could just get them to style an nice iPad interface vs. the awful 50's Metro for mobile use.

Since the cool kids here are getting one, I think I'll order one up too.
Is the extra price in RAM worth the cost?

Since I was doing it for science and planned to get a Windows 8 Tablet to replace iPad and Netbook, I got the lowest 16GB RAM. I have a lot of apps, Skyscape medical stuff, GPS Ski tracking, Pages and 3.6 GB of music (the low side for most people with music) and I have 7.3GB left. So the 16 GB Wifi seems to fine for most purposes. I could double everything I have and still have a 1GB to go. Having the Hotspot on the iPhone as my Wifi source is the greatest. My car is rigged to hook to internet via the phone so I can do web searches, get traffic and do Pandora. As long as you have a Wifi source like that the cheaper iPad is way to go. Plus you get free iCloud storage for another 5GB. For $399 it was pretty good deal.

Why don't you spend the money on a few new XF licenses...you know you want to! :p
Actually I don't want to. I have no intent to renew any of them at this time, but that's another thread. ;)
I just moved several domains to Namecheap, but that is also another thread. :)
Since I was doing it for science and planned to get a Windows 8 Tablet to replace iPad and Netbook, I got the lowest 16GB RAM. I have a lot of apps, Skyscape medical stuff, GPS Ski tracking, Pages and 3.6 GB of music (the low side for most people with music) and I have 7.3GB left. So the 16 GB Wifi seems to fine for most purposes. I could double everything I have and still have a 1GB to go. Having the Hotspot on the iPhone as my Wifi source is the greatest. My car is rigged to hook to internet via the phone so I can do web searches, get traffic and do Pandora. As long as you have a Wifi source like that the cheaper iPad is way to go. Plus you get free iCloud storage for another 5GB. For $399 it was pretty good deal.
That's good to know about the memory. I usually max out memory whenever I buy something.
I'm out of memory on my original Droid with system apps even though there is plenty of room on my SDcard.
I'm assuming the system memory shares the on board 16gig?

Added: I done did it. Now the wait.

I'm assuming the system memory shares the on board 16gig?

I have 13.7GB for user so it looks like the OS eats up 2.3GB. That's kind of cheap suit really, they should give you 16GB for user if that is what they advertise.

I done did it. Now the wait.

The wait!? Half the fun is wading into the melee that is an Apple store and walking out with goodies. iPads and instant gratification go together.

The wait!? Half the fun is wading into the melee that is an Apple store and walking out with goodies. iPads and instant gratification go together.
Wrong store though.:)
It's the Google play store. I've had an Original Droid since day one. I've seen their offerings grow.

It's funny. I've been a Mac user since the late 80s even thought people always told me that there wasn't enough software available for Macs. I should have gotten a PC, they say.
Now that my phone is Android people tell me, I should have gotten an iPhone. Not enough for Android.

Where would the world be without early adopters?

If you think the Surface can replace both your computer and tablet, all the better for you, For me, a tablet is far from being able to replace any of my computers.

In other words, you're not Microsoft's target audience for this device.

I don't see any reason mom & pop wouldn't want a single device to use on a couch for browsing, and on a desk with a mouse / keyboard for chatting or photo editing. It's an obvious convergence of two specialized devices. Of course, there are trade offs, but if they can deliver a good experience, I think most people would be willing to trade the computing power of a desktop/laptop for a single all-in-one device.

As a power user myself, having less devices that get the job is a plus in my book. In terms of media consumption I do not miss anything with the tablet but I find myself pulling out my laptop to get some simple tasks done in software XY (especially if it's work related) because traditional software still beats most apps. Having all those software programs running on my tablet will be golden. For your average consumer, it will be amazing.

Since the discussion is turning towards laptop vs tablet.
Those who are old enough will remember the first laptops.
At the time people said laptops wouldn't replace their desktops.
Now my laptop is my desktop. At home anyway.

Remember when all cellphones did was make phone calls?

I pre-ordered mine, still waiting. Google will ship in 2 or 3 weeks time. It's my first tablet. :) People told me to get iPad since iPad 1 was released, but I just won't fall in love with iPad. When Nexus 7 was announced, I instantly fall in love with it. I think it's the size and ICS4.1 that I like. iPad is a bit big for me.

Top Bottom