Nexus 7 tablet?

steven s

Didn't notice any thread on this yet.
http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7/features/ [tablet]

I haven't bought into this whole tablet craze yet but this one seems to be priced right for me.

I figure I can connect it to my phone via wi-fi.
8Gb 16Gb?

I wouldn't intend for it to replace my laptop but it would be nice to have something to do when I'm waiting in an airport or on a plane. Sans the wi-fi of course.

I have tried to convince people to get it instead of the ipad since it's more affordable but the screen is too small for them. *shrugs*

Kind of reminds me of how people have held out on buying a Nintendo DS or 3DS until the XL version came out.

My problem with tablets is that, while cool, anything you can do with them can be done better with either a laptop, a phone or a desktop computer. They just don't seem to have any real added value for me.

My problem with tablets is that, while cool, anything you can do with them can be done better with either a laptop, a phone or a desktop computer. They just don't seem to have any real added value for me.
Pretty much. I was once tempted to get an iPad after I learned I could connect it to a keyboard though.

The problem is that there are netbooks whose battery life lasts 9 hours. Can't beat that.

As I said, the intent is not to replace my laptop. That still travels with me when it's not sitting on my desk at home.
I'm looking for something to kill time or do light work with.

Here is a question for you techies....

If I put this on my boat, will the GPS chip still work? I suspect the answer is yes, but want to know for certain. I know it has a real GPS chip in it.....I may use it for marine charts (The marine charts can be downloaded while you are on wifi, the GPS just keeps track of it from there...

I've got mine on pre-order. I was waiting for the Kindle Fire to come out in the UK, but Google got here first and it seems to get better reviews, so I'm just counting down the time waiting on it to get shipped.

I've also got one on pre-order only to see what it's like. the new OS is what won me over more than the actual tablet. I know, I know what your thinking and the burning question your craving to ask and my reply is I know it hasn't got an apple badge on the back but don't worry i purchased one of those sticky apple badges so my tablet will be oozing the cool factor except it'll be significantly cheaper. :LOL:

I played with it. The screen is beautiful and large enough for almost everything you do. It's also quite light in hand. The back texture helps making it easy to handle. Software wise, Android 4.1 is great. Pure Google devices are always the best!

Too bad I can't order one from home (not available where I live - that sucks, I know)
I plan on asking one of my partners from the US to pre-order one and send it to my address, :D

Can't wait!

Very handy in the operating room for looking at MRI's, Xrays, patient charts, implant information and recording information. Even taking pix of operation for files and to show patient.
If I put this on my boat, will the GPS chip still work?.
I wouldn't navigate on iPad or iPhones limited GPS. You can get GPS that talk to iPad and iPhone. I use GNS 5870 MFI GPS to provide GPS info to my iPhone while skiing. It also talks to iPad for use with Navionics on the boat.

For forum managers, you need to get one to see how 50% of your members see and interact with your forum. Some forum stats are as high as 80% of members at some point accessing via mobile with iPhone, iPad being 50% of that access.

For forum managers, you need to get one to see how 50% of your members see and interact with your forum. Some forum stats are as high as 80% of members at some point accessing via mobile with iPhone, iPad being 50% of that access.

Thanks for giving me an official reason! I'll order one just for fun now........
;)

Thanks for giving me an official reason! I'll order one just for fun now........

That was my excuse. Got one day after ForumCon.com...just business of course. I got the lowest priced iPad2 with just Wifi. I have the Hotspot option on my phone so it provides the in-my-pocket-allatime Wifi connection. It was useful in researching issue of XenForo and mobile access, what does it look like via iPad and what are user functionality issues. I now use the iPad instead of my HP Mini.

My EEE Transformer has 12 hours (with docking) and a touchpad and keyboard docking station. Pretty much the only work tool I use while travelling.

I like the specs of that tablet. What's the update schedule like on that is it a waiting game like most android powered products or do you get access to the latest OS upon release?

It is running android 4 now, was released with android 3, so it has been pretty good. Not sure when they will stop releasing for them. I have the original though, not the Prime one...

It is running android 4 now, was released with android 3, so it has been pretty good. Not sure when they will stop releasing for them. I have the original though, not the Prime one...

That's prity good then considering.

I remembering purchasing a htc desire (no longer have it) at the same time my husband got his and he's still on android 2.2. I know it's not a tablet but it's a concern I have with all android powered hardware and a reason why I think they lack in that department. It is probably a major factor for the increased global activations but the tablet you have is the tablet I did originally set my eyes on for a while now but held back primarily because of bad experiences with my htc being stuck on an old OS.

Anyway, thanks for the the info. Hopefully I won't have this issue with the N7 when it arrives and the tablet gets OTA updates much like apple products do to keep the tablet/device uptodate.

Top Bottom