XF 1.3 Newbie starting from scratch

Blue chummer

Hi Guys .
I am a Newbie. Pretty good on the computer , but never have started a forum before.
Here is what I have done so far:

1-got my domain name
2-puchased xen foro lic
3- Have a rough overall layout for my forum on pen and paper(its a fishing forum)

Here is what I need help with :
1- need a good host who can help install the xen foro software and one that I can grow with.
Will start with shared hosting at first but I expect to grow to vps.
2-I need this host to help get the ball rolling and point me in right directions
3-I need someone to design logos and headers pretty cheaply
4-put it together and design the forum
5- go live

Any suggestions would be great. I have read several posts about hosting companies and from what I have heard so far is :
1-do not use a EIG company

I am pretty open. However I noticed a couple of the recommended ones are in the UK or Ca. I am in the US and would probably like to go that route unless someone tells me a good reason otherwise.
Thanks for all your help Looking forward to the process.

Blue Chummer

thanks for that page Brogan , I will post there also for design help

as far as hosting Price. I am flexible. Don't need that ultra cheap stuff. The thing I really want out of a hosting company is:
1-help and support (especially help installing right now.)
2-vast experience with Xen foro
3-Someone to grow with
4-fast speeds.
5-competitive pricing.

thanks (I think I write too many lists , my wife hates lists)

Blue Chummer

You don't really need a host who is experienced with XenForo.
It's very simple to install and ongoing maintenance is minimal to nil.
Even then, it's no different to any other database/file based system so any competent host will be able to help with server related issues.

All the help you will need, relating to XenForo specifically, you can get from the forum or via ticket support.

Thanks Brogan.
I think it will be pretty easy. You know how it is the first time you do anything? then the following times it gets easier. That is where I am.
When I bought the lic , I downloaded it on my computer and was expecting to start the design of my forum on my computer immediately. Then I realized I needed a host first. Its the stupid stuff like that.

thanks Brogan Ok I took your advice and installed xampp

I am stuck on this part:

Copy the contents of the unzipped XenForo /upload directory to the /community directory- DONE
Browse to the install directory: http://localhost/community/install/ -NOT DONE
Click on Begin Installation

where do I browse to the install directory? When I clicked on that link I got a error page. Do I find the install directory on my computer? or is it on my local host which is now renamed to my website
thanks

Ok I got this done and installed successfully. So I am not entirely clueless :)

Now I am in the xen foro admin control panel.

Ok So where do I start? I have a written list of catagories and sub catagories. I take it these would be "nodes"

would you guys start on these first or the graphics?

thanks

Ok content first. Question on the nodes- I take it the nodes are the forum catagories?
what works better:
I have a ton of catagories and sub catagories. what is too much? Also I pretty much have no clue on html. I am very smart (at least that is what I tell my wife) but I have never had to design anything on computer. So I could learn it - I guess. It seems like you need a pretty good knowledge of html to get anywhere with this program. thanks for everyones help.

Indeed, no knowledge of HTML is needed for setting up and after that only a little here and there. If you do want to learn HTML and CSS you could take a look at Codecademy.
I have a ton of catagories and sub catagories. what is too much?
If you have a ton, then that's too much already. Start small with just a few main categories that you know are going to get used. You could forget subcategories initially and introduce these later on when you have more content. The main thing it to get the categories you do have containing content within a short period after launch. One of the most off-putting things to see in a forum are loads of categories that are empty.

Hi Martok, thanks didn't see your response.
I am rolling along right now. Have a logo and skin in the works. I have been designing my nodes. The only problem with the type of site I have-fishing, Is I need to have a ton of nodes as they are location and brand specific- I need to have a list of brands and locations. I know its going to be a lot of empty stuff in the beginning. But I will have to figure out a way around that for now. Working on a lot of unique rss feeds as far as fishing reports are concerned. Still over a month out I think. thanks for the advice I appreciate it.

Hi Martok, thanks didn't see your response.
I am rolling along right now. Have a logo and skin in the works. I have been designing my nodes. The only problem with the type of site I have-fishing, Is I need to have a ton of nodes as they are location and brand specific- I need to have a list of brands and locations. I know its going to be a lot of empty stuff in the beginning. But I will have to figure out a way around that for now. Working on a lot of unique rss feeds as far as fishing reports are concerned. Still over a month out I think. thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
I finally broke down and have started using Prefixes on my motorcycle forum. Now instead of having Touring Bikes -> Honda -> the 11 nodes below it I just have Touring Bikes -> Honda and 11 prefixes for that node.
screenshot1.webp screenshot.webp

Eventually I'll modify the tag prefixes and do custom ones for them but that's for a little further down the line.

Hi Tracy , that looks pretty cool. That forum basically has the same situation . You would like a discussion on all the models. And there are a lot of brands and a lot of models. So we are in the same boat-so to speak. I still have a lot of time before site is live. So I am going to explore this.

Its guess its a dilemma with newish sites. You need great content , but not too much so it looks empty. thanks for the prefix idea!

Hi Tracy , that looks pretty cool. That forum basically has the same situation . You would like a discussion on all the models. And there are a lot of brands and a lot of models. So we are in the same boat-so to speak. I still have a lot of time before site is live. So I am going to explore this.

Its guess its a dilemma with newish sites. You need great content , but not too much so it looks empty. thanks for the prefix idea!
In all areas it won't work as well. That's like the Harley Davidson cruisers. I ended up breaking them down into the sub categories of Dyna, Softail, Sportster, etc. and then did the prefixes under that. I wish I had originally done it (would have saved me a bunch of work that I'm not done with yet in the change).
Best thing I can recommend is to diagram your node structure out and then see if it will work well using prefixes (the nice thing is you can use them amongst multiple nodes - like Saltwater and Freshwater reels and use the same manufacturer prefixes with them).

Top Bottom