Lack of interest New Way to Change Avatar

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Perhaps others would like that, but personally I think there are enough links to point you in the right direction. After all, it is not like people change their avatar every day.

There's nothing wrong with implementing an intuitive feature. One-click avatar upload would be welcomed by a lot of people. You knew the direction of this software before you bought it, unlike with vB 4.
I don't think Kier and Mike's planned direction was ever "pretend to be Facebook" and I don't think it is now either.

I have no particular issue with one click avatar upload, what I don't want is for the design and implementation of it to mimic Facebook.

If forums become Facebook imitations they will always be inferior and people will always choose the real thing.

I tire of reading of how we should have our sites exactly like Facebook, why bother, just use Facebook!

When forums effectively replaced nntp groups and email discussion lists, they didn't look remotely like those things. So why imitate something else now?

I don't think Kier and Mike's planned direction was ever "pretend to be Facebook" and I don't think it is now either.
I never said that. I'm talking about intuitive UI design. Hovering over one's profile pic on Facebook provides an area where a user can quickly click when they want to change their picture. This would be a great feature to have with XenForo instead of having to hover over the account menu, clicking 'Avatar', and then choosing the file to upload.

I have no particular issue with one click avatar upload, what I don't want is for the design and implementation of it to mimic Facebook.
Why? It's very simple and it works well. Hover. Click. Choose file. Upload.

If forums become Facebook imitations they will always be inferior and people will always choose the real thing.
No they won't. Facebook will never provide what a forum does.

I tire of reading of how we should have our sites exactly like Facebook, why bother, just use Facebook!
Because facebook is not a forum.

When forums effectively replaced nntp groups and email discussion lists, they didn't look remotely like those things. So why imitate something else now?
We're not imitating facebook, a social network. We're imitating UI intuitiveness that's also used on other sites.

I agree not to replicate most Facebook-features, but when it comes to such intuitive and easy functions I'd say yeah. Why reinventing the wheel?
Agreed.

When you consider the staggering amount of Facebook users as well, if they're used to doing something a certain way and it feels "natural" and easy to the user, it makes sense to then take a similar approach. No need for them to learn a new way of doing the same thing.

wow I never expected these responses about facebook
c'mon look at the nature of the idea. Do you think is useful?

A staggering amount of users use Vista
Let's make things look like Vista
Saves those users having to get used to something else.

Agreed.

When you consider the staggering amount of Facebook users as well, if they're used to doing something a certain way and it feels "natural" and easy to the user, it makes sense to then take a similar approach. No need for them to learn a new way of doing the same thing.

One day in years to come when there are no forums left on the internet and everyone is using Facebook, people will realise that what currently appears to be my lone voice in the dark railing against blindly handing control of our sites to Facebook, was right.

I despair because nobody is listening. It is becoming increasingly difficult to run a forum without it merely being a portal to drive traffic to Facebook.

One day in years to come when there are no forums left on the internet and everyone is using Facebook, people will realise that what currently appears to be my lone voice in the dark railing against blindly handing control of our sites to Facebook, was right.

I despair because nobody is listening. It is becoming increasingly difficult to run a forum without it merely being a portal to drive traffic to Facebook.
So, by implementing this feature you are actually driving traffic to facebook. how? :unsure:

I doubt forums will die off, but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

I'm just saying that Facebook has had some implementations of features that are intuitive, though yes there have been others that haven't been as lucky. If you don't have to explain to the user how to use something and they use it, why do you have to create a new way of using the feature? There's nothing wrong with looking around at other large websites and see what they get right and implementing it.

You may not like Facebook, but there are definitely a handful of examples used within XenForo that's similar and I can't imagine any reason why Kier and Mike would re-think what works easiest without confusion.

I doubt forums will die off, but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

I'm just saying that Facebook has had some implementations of features that are intuitive, though yes there have been others that haven't been as lucky. If you don't have to explain to the user how to use something and they use it, why do you have to create a new way of using the feature? There's nothing wrong with looking around at other large websites and see what they get right and implementing it.

You may not like Facebook, but there are definitely a handful of examples used within XenForo that's similar and I can't imagine any reason why Kier and Mike would re-think what works easiest without confusion.
Very good post.

Top Bottom