Not planned New unread posts counter next to thread icon

Moshe1010

In my vBulletin forum, there is an option to see how many new replies were made since my last visit in this thread. It shows the number of the new replies in a black box, on top of the thread icon. In addition, if a person clicks on that black icon, it transfers him/her right to the first unread post in that thread. Here how it looks like:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1050/saasagasgagagagagaga.png

It's possible to adjust the time this icon is shown to users, so in my forum it has a counter of 48 hours and then disappears (if the user hasn't clicked on that thread. If somebody reads the unread threads, it also disappears).

Last edited:

Jeremy

There is a small blue dot that indicates unread. Clicking on the thread title also takes you to unread posts if there are any.

Digital Doctor

vBulletin.number.of.new.posts.in.thread.png
Is this a forum listing of threads ?
or a [New Posts] listing of threads ?
or a watched subscribed threads list ?

This feature seems very query intensive. (can anyone comment about if this is a query intense feature ? )(I'm just guessing).
I might like it myself (admin / mod) but seems over the top in most situations.

Moshe1010

View attachment 47788
Is this a forum listing of threads ?
or a [New Posts] listing of threads ?
or a watched subscribed threads list ?

This feature seems very query intensive. (can anyone comment about if this is a query intense feature ? )(I'm just guessing).
I might like it myself (admin / mod) but seems over the top in most situations.
This is a thread list inside a specific forum. The counter shows new replies in a specific thread. This also works in subscrbieid thread list/what's new and other areas that have the same layout.

Digital Doctor

This is a thread list inside a specific forum. The counter shows new replies in a specific thread. This also works in subscrbieid thread list/what's new and other areas that have the same layout.
Why is it useful ?
Can you give me a situation where it's useful ?
I'd like to try it .... but I doubt it's all that useful.
Convince me.

Martok

Why is it useful ?
Convince me.
+1

This seems to be a 'nicety' but at the expense of additional queries on the db (I assume). If this is the case then it's just 'bloat' and shouldn't be a core feature but could be an add-on for those that want it.

Moshe1010

Why is it useful ?
Convince me.
For example, I hate entering a thread that has only one new response in it and then coming back to it again when there is another. I like to "reply in bulk" to threads in my forum (it's a support forum for a specific topic). Then, in my opinion, it saves a lot of time in the long run.
Another example would be an interest in threads. Let's say a thread has a new post in it (1 post), and another thread has 20 new posts when they are both were read at the same time by the user. I would care less reading the new comment on the first thread, but I would love to see what "happened" in the second thread since it got so many new posts in a short period of time.
I can think of more reasons for that, these are just two examples when the first one is the most critical for me (and maybe others, I don't know).

Digital Doctor

For example, I hate entering a thread that has only one new response in it and then coming back to it again when there is another. I like to "reply in bulk" to threads in my forum
Thanks for the example. Hmmmm. I am not convinced !

You hate threads in vBulletin because the whole thing is a bloat slow mess.
Things are fast here.

Replying in bulk can actually be a hassle in Xenforo as there is no multi-quote.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I will simply say that calculating this will be absolutely brutal, not particularly advantageous, and unlikely to fit in XF anyway.

Nothing stopping an add-on though.