Not a bug New Registration Error:

CritiKiL

Whenever someone Registers, no matter whether I have Manual or E-mail Verification boxes checked, this message appears instead of the usual 'Thank You....' message:
Please enter a message with no more than 420 characters.
The Registrations go through correctly and everything, but this message makes members think that the registering did not happen or it is confusing people who register. How can I fix this?

That phrase is a XenForo default phrase for a message that is too long and is used in multiple places:
please_enter_message_with_no_more_than_x_characters

Disabling add-ons and slowly reenabling them will pinpoint the specific add-on causing your issue.

Have you any addons installed, which create
  • profilepost
  • conversation
after the registration?
Nope. And I have too many add-ons to try to troubleshoot at this time so I'm hoping to just change the phrase since that phrase almost never happens...

You have no choice but to troubleshoot the addons. Changing an error message to mask the fact you have an issue doesn't solve anything. What are you going to do when a valid error DOES occur, and you've changed the phrase that tells you what the issue is?

You have no choice but to troubleshoot the addons. Changing an error message to mask the fact you have an issue doesn't solve anything. What are you going to do when a valid error DOES occur, and you've changed the phrase that tells you what the issue is?
As I've said:
...I have too many add-ons to try to troubleshoot at this time...
When I DO have the time I will correct the matter, hopefully before the next upgrade version of XF comes out :)

If I had your files on a local install, this error could be found within seconds by just searching

I use Agent Ransack to search through files (since it searches through SQL files and has a few other option too)

If you have all of your addons in a folder locally, just do a search on all files (even a windows search will do) for the number 420
(it's a fairly strange default). With the returned files, just look at the files that are datawriters (I believe this error comes back from a datawritter error)

You should be able to narrow down what add-on is doing this within seconds (even with several hundred add-ons), but you do need all of the add-on files locally (you could search the server, but I wouldn't recommend it)

420 is found only in the following core datawritters:
ProfilePostComment.php
ProfilePost.php

I bet your ass it's not found in any other add-on datawriters except the one that is causing the issue

Top Bottom