XF 1.5 New Posts/What's New/Recent Posts suddenly not working

ExpatIndo

Hi,

I've tried to search for a solution on this forum but can't find anything (apologies if I missed it).

Last night, everything worked fine.

This morning, clicking on New Posts or What's New when logged in returns no result, despite new threads/posts having been created.

Same if logged out, nothing under "Recent Posts".

We do have a a Widget with Latest Posts which is working correctly.

Any idea?

Steps taken so far:

- Rebuilding Caches
- Disabling all add-ons
- Reverting to Default Style
- Removing anything related to cache in config.php
- Putting cloudflare in dev mode
- Clearing cloudflare caches
- Pausing cloudflare

Last edited:
From what we can tell of the original report, it's a server issue related to a basic PHP function which the host will have to investigate and resolve.

Your issue may or may not be the same - it's difficult to say without seeing it.

I checked your site and the issue is similar.

Did you make any changes to the site or server last night?
Change any of the options or settings?
Change the PHP version?

Can you check with your host whether they made any changes.

For something to suddenly stop working, it usually means something has changed or an add-on is involved.

You can also rule out any third party code by reverting to a completely default style and disabling any add-ons, as one of those may be interfering.

@rustybucket can you create a php file with the following content and upload it to the XF root?

PHP:
<?php

header('Content-type: text/plain');

echo "PHP version:\n" . phpversion() . "\n";

$arr = [
    ["thread", 4211],
    ["thread", 4210],
    ["thread", 4212],
    ["thread", 4207],
    ["thread", 4097],
    ["thread", 3993],
];
var_dump(array_column($arr, 1));

$arr = [
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 4211],
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 4210],
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 4212],
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 4207],
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 4097],
    ['x' => "thread", 'y' => 3993],
];

var_dump(array_column($arr, 'y'));

Just name it xf-test.php and then we can check if the output is as expected.

Your server appears to have the same issue.

I'll copy and paste here what Mike posted in the other ticket.

I have confirmed the issue, but it indicates that a very basic PHP function isn't behaving correctly. Unfortunately, based on my tests, this appears to be unique to your server, so it's not something that we can workaround.

I've created a test script to demonstrate the problem here: <snip>This is not using any XenForo-related code. It is demonstrating the problem as simply as possible.

I have tested this code against a large number of PHP versions here and you can see that the output is identical for all of them: https://3v4l.org/OaNqe The script on your server should be outputting that.

Unfortunately, at this point, your host would likely need to investigate further, as it may indicate issues with their PHP installation itself. If they can resolve this issue, it should fix the problems you're seeing in XenForo.

I checked the headers and saw Litespeed so that seems like it could be it.

Whatever it is, it's something on the server which the host needs to resolve.

I have a feeling that an update was rolled out to cpanel and they didnt restart the php process.

I sent them the information. In the meantime, I changed from PHP 7.0 - 7.1 and it seems to be working.

If you wouldnt mind could you try swapping back and see if the issue still exists?

If it does, can you restart php from WHM if you have the ability to do so and see if it resolves. Though I think this is triggered automatically on version swapping, so switching back may just work now.

I've exactly the same problem on my forum. Nothing is changed as far as I know unless there was a cpanel update or something like that but I was unaware of such a thing.

All my user are affected. If I check new messages I get the response that there wasn't new messages but this is not true.

Tomorrow I'll ask my service provider if something is happened during these days and I'll let you know.

There's something I can do about that? I'm using PHP 7.2

Top Bottom