Not a bug New Moderator previously ignored showing on Ignore list even though posts can be seen

SNSSO

Affected version
XF2.2
I've got a possible feature... ?
  • Member A ignored member B about 1 month ago.
  • Member B was promoted to a moderator (now Moderator B) this week
  • Moderator C noticed that Moderator B was showing in the system wide Ignore list as being ignored by Member A which is explicitly against site rules.
  • But Member A can not 'Unignore' Moderator B because the system overrides the ignore preventing members from ignoring moderators which is good. However, I now have the position where Member A can now see Moderator B's posts ((y)), Moderator B is not in Member A's Ignoring list ((y)) but still reports as being ignored by Member A ((n)) in the (system) Ignore List.
Ideally if a member is promoted to a moderator whilst on someone's Ignore list could they be removed from being ignored all together or at the very minimum not show on the system Ignore list because right now whilst it is technically correct that Member A is/was ignoring Moderator B, it is factually incorrect at the same time (Member A can see Moderator B posts) and the member (Member A) accused of ignoring a moderator (Mod B) isn't actually ignoring them and more to the point can't actually remove them from being ignored because the moderator (Moderator B) no longer shows in that members (Member A) Ignoring list only on the system Ignore list.

So my (system) lgnore list is this one (only visible to moderators).
Moderator B shows on this list as Ignored and Member A in ignored by.
Screenshot_20210724-084812_Opera.jpg

Member A sees this
Screenshot_20210724-084937_Opera.jpg

neither of the 2 they are ignoring are Moderator B.

I'd like to get Moderator B off the system Ignore list so that it accurately reflects what is going on which is that because Member B is actually now a moderator, Member A is actually now seeing Moderator B's posts and isn't actually doing anything wrong despite Moderator C seeing Moderator B being ignored by Member A in the system ignore list.

I do hope that makes sense...

Last edited:
I think you have some add-ons at play here that materially affect the behaviour and how ignoring is exposed.

There is no "system wide Ignore list" which I think is probably the add-on that is relevant here.

If Moderator B is ignored by Member A, the record is still in the database but in the default software that isn't actually exposed anywhere. Member A's ignore list will not contain Moderator B. There is no option anywhere for Member A to unignore Moderator B. Indeed as ignoring staff members is not allowed, it's as if they never were ignored.

This is all as designed.

However, you seem to have an add-on that exposes this in different ways, including exposing an "Unignore" option for moderators who technically aren't actually ignored anymore, and elsewhere in the default software would be filtered out.

Ultimately, if changes are to be made here, it should be within the add-on that exposes that.

OK. I didn't want to disable the content ignore add-on that allows members to Ignore specific forum or threads because I wasn't sure if it would lose the settings.

This is at the Member level hence why I thought it a feature.
This list also only shows Member ignores not forum or thread ignores.

I know I had to manually add the list to my bookmarks because it was one of those hidden ones... I'll continue digging.
Thanks

In the Accounts, Ignoring page, can moderators still be shown here so that a member can unignore them?
I still have the basic problem that they set this setting and now can't undo it because the ignored member is now a moderator, even though they see the posts.

That's not a change we'd be looking to make.

We treat them as if they were never ignored in the first place, so we wouldn't show them in the ignored list and we wouldn't provide an option to unignore them because they are essentially not ignored.

You have an add-on that exposes these things differently. The add-on author would need to make changes. The bug is in their code, not ours.

That's not a change we'd be looking to make.

We treat them as if they were never ignored in the first place, so we wouldn't show them in the ignored list and we wouldn't provide an option to unignore them because they are essentially not ignored.
I understand. I used to run a large network, building AD servers and network from scratch etc... I'm just very aware that my moderators don't have that knowledge and take what they see at face value.

You have an add-on that exposes these things differently. The add-on author would need to make changes. The bug is in their code, not ours.
Yep - I have. Finger's crossed.

Top Bottom