New gaming rig - I has happy :)

Try the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo. Should test your system pretty well. My crossfire 4850 setup strugles with lowest settings, had to lower the resolution from 1920 x 1200 to 1400 x 900 for smooth gameplay.

Nice. Here's my current system:

Antec 902
ASRock X58 Extreme
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.2Ghz
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2
HIS Radeon HD 5850 1GB @ stock
A-DATA Gaming Series 12GB DDR3 1600G
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD (OS drive)
WD Caviar Blue 640GB (storage & games)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Only thing that's not really up to par with the rest is the cooling. I'll probably get a better cooler come summertime and then hopefully be able to push the i7 to 3.6Ghz-3.8Ghz.

I am a little surprised by the fact that you're hitting 90fps on that setup. I haven't fired up Black Ops for a month or two (mainly playing BC2), but for me it would sometimes dip under 60 in certain areas. Black Ops is (was?) horribly optimized compared to both Modern Warfare games. Who knows, maybe they improved performance recently.

I plan to upgrade to a GTX 580 or future equivalent when Battlefield 3 is released, and hopefully improve my cooling as well so I can push the i7 farther. :)

SSD rocks. All of my VMWare servers have SSD for the VM datastores. VMs boot from cold powerup to linux root prompt in...are you ready...5 seconds.

just think of what that means to a gaming system.

Want to make Windows creepy fast?

Get a small SDD for your windows swap space. The whole idea of swap is that you swap inactive memory pages out of active memory onto disk, right? Well, SDD is essentially low performance memory, but still lightning fast compared to a mechanical hard drive with platters, heads and headseek time. And since all Windows servers page...

Yeah, baby!

Top Bottom