New forum hosting?

@Mike Edge Are there any addons that are disallowed or restrictions on what can be run inside Xenforo? I know some wordpress optimized hosts have a plugin blacklist because some use a lot of server resources.

@Mike Edge Are there any addons that are disallowed or restrictions on what can be run inside Xenforo? I know some wordpress optimized hosts have a plugin blacklist because some use a lot of server resources.

Nope none, other then enhanced search, which we allow but it is a add-on option you need to purchase monthly for the dedicated RAM it requires. We did at one time ask large sites to turn off Tiaga chat and live thread to guests viewing, but since moving from Canada to Jacksonville Florida, that hasn't caused any issues to have to still request that be done.

On the contrary, there isn't anything you can do to actually optimize a server for XF. There just isn't. You can optimize a server in general, you can add litespeed, memcache, APC, etc. all you want, but nothing in doing that is remotely specific to XF. You can do that with any server, and say it's optimized for any application you want. Simply a marketing gimmick here, I'm afraid.

Although I have to agree with every word you said, host who do optimization will usually do it for general loads of all types of websites. With xFHost, by the sounds of it, they specifically watch to see what would be better for xF over other things. For example, tuning one thing in the server settings might have some advantages on another forum software such as vB, but will have no effect on xF. Therefore, the host tunes and fines the server settings that will better match and give greater results for websites using XenForo.

I own a host my self, and I have to say, I do have several clients who have xenforo boards on my servers. Tuning one thing might benefit them but in the long run, would make it worse for the general clients of my host. Therefore, I do not tune it.

Although I have to agree with every word you said, host who do optimization will usually do it for general loads of all types of websites. With xFHost, by the sounds of it, they specifically watch to see what would be better for xF over other things. For example, tuning one thing in the server settings might have some advantages on another forum software such as vB, but will have no effect on xF. Therefore, the host tunes and fines the server settings that will better match and give greater results for websites using XenForo.

I own a host my self, and I have to say, I do have several clients who have xenforo boards on my servers. Tuning one thing might benefit them but in the long run, would make it worse for the general clients of my host. Therefore, I do not tune it.

This sounds interesting. I never heard of this before. What type of things are tuned on the server?

You would be amazed at how many "companies" don't run SSDs in RAID10 or even RAID 1. Same goes for mechanical drives. No wacky marketing here. We used to have the fastest production SSD hosting setups in the world. Then the cloud folk came in with their massive SSD SAN setups and bechmark higher than we do, as we don't use SAN. But we were indeed the fastest in the world. ;)

On the contrary, there isn't anything you can do to actually optimize a server for XF. There just isn't. You can optimize a server in general, you can add litespeed, memcache, APC, etc. all you want, but nothing in doing that is remotely specific to XF. You can do that with any server, and say it's optimized for any application you want. Simply a marketing gimmick here, I'm afraid.

I run my own servers as well, and while some of the configuration steps may seem trivial there is nothing wrong with another doing business simply by offering a solution that others find value in.

My Forum is a lot faster right now compare to when I'm on Nimbus Hosting or Knownhost.

It's apples to oranges. You can't really compare shared hosting and a VPS (i.e. Knownhost) directly. A lot of people go from shared hosting to a 256mb VPS with a portion of 1 CPU core, and wonder why their site was faster on shared hosting (where they might be able to burst to a full 8HT cores or such). The disk i/o is normally far worse on VPS servers as well, just because the disks are normally being used so heavily.

Put your site on a dedicated server and you'll see your forum fly. But again...apples to oranges.

Put your site on a dedicated server and you'll see your forum fly. But again...apples to oranges.

We have had several sites move to us from dedicated servers. Everyone of those site owners have told me how much faster their site is now under our shared services and it is win/win for them being both faster now and paying less... These are all 1 million+ post communities too... so yeap, apples to oranges.. Nothing compares to the quality of shared hosting when done correctly. Not a VPS or dedicated server.

My Forum is a lot faster right now compare to when I'm on Nimbus Hosting or Knownhost.

And aren't Nimbus's servers all in the UK? Of course your website is going to be faster here in the US or Asia (based on the Pinoy forum) when you aren't using a UK datacenter. That's just a pure matter of latency. Has absolutely nothing to do with the server, I'm sure.

We have had several sites move to us from dedicated servers. Everyone of those site owners have told me how much faster their site is now under our shared services and it is win/win for them being both faster now and paying less... These are all 1 million+ post communities too... so yeap, apples to oranges.. Nothing compares to the quality of shared hosting when done correctly. Not a VPS or dedicated server.

Again, you can't compare a 16 drive RAID10 server to a single drive dedicated box, which is usually what people buy...maybe RAID1 if they have the cash. I guarantee I can crush any dedicated server out there with our shared hosting, or especially a VPS server. 16+ SSD drives will do that. ;)

My point is that it's not optimization that's causing that. It's simply the nature of the different platforms and the hardware being used. People don't understand that. They get relatively poor performance on their $100/mo. single drive box, and wonder why it's so much worse than the $5/mo. shared host they moved from.

It's a really simple concept. No magic or smoke and mirrors involved. Beefy hardware is going to provide beefy performance.

Top Bottom