Not a bug New custom use fields in preferences cause notices to not reset

Mr Lucky

This does appear to be a bug as I can't imagine why it would be expected.

After creating a custom user field that to be displayed in preferences, and options required and on registration, users who were already registered (and hence did not have the field filled, could not reset notices from via the link in their preferences.

If I made the filed not required, or in another location other than preferences or filled in the field with text, then notes could be reset by the user.

Well, it seems I can't reset notices either now (xf 1.5.2). I did, also, create user fields but not in preferences, just in personal and contact details, so maybe the bug occurs with any type of new user field??

Well, it seems I can't reset notices either now (xf 1.5.2). I did, also, create user fields but not in preferences, just in personal and contact details, so maybe the bug occurs with any type of new user field??
yes, I think the main issue is when the field is required. Unrequiring seems to solve the issue - I didn't do any more testing yet as I've been waiting for a developer to comment about this.

I have the same problem. We need the field to be required for registration, but it's causing some preferences to not save.

This is generally working as designed.

If ever there is a required field that doesn't have a value, if you try to submit anything with that field, and you don't fill it in, then you will get an error stating it is required.

So, I've gone through my two required fields. Unrequired them. Reset the notice. Nothing. I'm wondering if in my case it has to do with being an admin?

It might be worth creating a new thread in the troubleshooting forum as it seems your issue is unrelated to required custom fields.

Include exactly what you're doing, what you're expecting to happen vs what is actually happening.

This is generally working as designed.

If ever there is a required field that doesn't have a value, if you try to submit anything with that field, and you don't fill it in, then you will get an error stating it is required.

Surely it can't be a design that notices don't reset when you tick the box,

I could understand if I got an error saying the required filed must be filled in/ticked, but I don't get an error, I get a box at the top of the page saying your changes have been saved, but they are not saved in that the notices are not rest .

I could understand if I got an error saying the required filed must be filled in/ticked, but I don't get an error, I get a box at the top of the page saying your changes have been saved, but they are not saved in that the notices are not rest .
This wasn't made clear before.

I certainly would expect an error there.

Thanks for the additional info.

I do get an error.

View attachment 121029

This is the expected behaviour.

Does this not happen for you?

No I do this:

Screen Shot 2015-11-03 at 10.38.13.webp

Then save

And then I get this:

FirefoxScreenshot001.webp

And then I get no restored notices.

I can see the fields say required obviously, but I am allowed to save without those so without the error which you mention a member could be forgiven for thinking that it is still OK to leave them blank as they weren't nagged about it.

That's not the behaviour I'm seeing.

Could you do me a favour, if you get a chance, could you disable all of your add-ons and try again. I just want to eliminate that as a possibility. It's feasible that an add-on is extending this part of the code, and it is causing that required check to be skipped.

Could you do me a favour, if you get a chance, could you disable all of your add-ons and try again. I just want to eliminate that as a possibility. It's feasible that an add-on is extending this part of the code, and it is causing that required check to be skipped.

OK, well it seems if I disable CTA Featured Threads, then the error notice pops up as expected.

Top Bottom