XF 1.1 Network Solutions wiped out MySql database.

BGL

Got the error below. After talking to Network solutions, they were migrating to another server and my MySql database was corrupted. They said they had no back up. You would think they'd do a back up when moving but apparently not. I have no recent backups since I built the forum a year ago and last change I made to Xenforo and add-ons. I had set the forum for daily backup. I thought the "snapshot" would give me the entire website back as of the day of the "snapshot" but NS says that only backs up FTP files.

Mike suggested following and I'll pass that on to engineer NS has assigned to problem.

http://programming.mvergel.com/2012/05/mysql-error-incorrect-information-in.html#.UeKxdVOrtSB

Would NS have a backup somewhere? What is the schedule for backups for the web hosting like NS and would my XenForo database be there somewhere?

An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: Incorrect information in file: './olyc_xf_db/xf_option.frm' in /data/15/1/43/0/1858000/user/2017422/htdocs/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 825
  5. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->fetchOne() in XenForo/Error.php at line 50
  6. XenForo_Error::unexpectedException() in XenForo/Application.php at line 295
  7. XenForo_Application::handleException()

What's the point of a backup if it's with the same company that your hosting with?

Kind of defeats the purpose of a backup. Chances are, if they get hit with a hurricane or something, your backups are gone as well.

Is the backup directory on a separate machine?

With NS, I'm sure they have back up servers on the dark side of the moon. It's why people pay their premium. Half the planet goes down NS mirror servers keep the other half going.

Got my money's worth. Lame brain does not read fine print, doesn't do back up for a year and NS is able to save him.

Interesting sidelight. I was thinking of moving to a local hosting company because I occasionally got similar error messages and website off line due to NS MySql server going down. Figures I'd go local to get more personalized support. I send an email to local hosting company asking a technical question, I get back a form email saying read their FAQ which I had read which prompted the question in the first place.

And here was NS, emailing me, calling me, providing specifics and finally bailing me out big time.

Funny the "big dog" was the friendlier, more personal dog.

I'll be sticking with NS.

Hi BGL,

Glad you got your database restored. My understanding is the only way to backup a MySQL database which has innodb tables one of two ways:

1) Use mysqldump
2) Turn off MySQL and copy the database files

My hunch is they do daily backups on their customer server which include mysqldumps, otherwise trying to copy the database files while MySQL is still running would result in an incomplete or corrupted backup.

I strongly suggest you learn how to backup using mysqldump and practice the steps to restore a xenforo forum from your backup.

Glad you got your database restored. My understanding is the only way to backup a MySQL database which has innodb tables one of two ways:

1) Use mysqldump
2) Turn off MySQL and copy the database files

My hunch is they do daily backups on their customer server which include mysqldumps, otherwise trying to copy the database files while MySQL is still running would result in an incomplete or corrupted backup.

I strongly suggest you learn how to backup using mysqldump and practice the steps to restore a xenforo forum from your backup.

What NS offers is a backup tool with the comment below. NS's daily server backups worked in restoring the forum. Would you think the one NS does automatically for the customer is the same backup?

Database Backup Details
Automated backups occur every day sometime between 1-3 am EST. You will see daily snapshots of your database for the last week. You may also trigger backups manually and your last 3 backups will be displayed below.

You can also find your backups in your hosting directory at the following location:: /backup/sql/olyc_xf_db

Would you think the one NS does automatically for the customer is the same backup?

Correct, I think they backup the customers database using mysqldump just in case the customer isn't doing it.

BTW is this a dedicated server, shared or VPS? How much are you paying a month.

Correct, I think they backup the customers database using mysqldump just in case the customer isn't doing it.
BTW is this a dedicated server, shared or VPS? How much are you paying a month.

It's a shared hosting solutions from Network Solutions. $25 a month.

What they told me is that they back up every server, every day. Didn't sound like they backed up each site individually as they said they had to extract my database files from the server backup. So they could restore anyone's entire website if the admin was not doing individual backups. They don't charge extra when I activate the automatic backup services so I wonder why they don't just do that for everyone automatically?

Top Bottom