Needing a VPS host

Hmm. I don't remember replying or watching this thread. I wonder if it was split off from another thread or I previously posted here and my post got deleted.

Check out the resources that http://linode.com provides. Their service and quality can't be beat. I have been with them since 2009. On a regular basis, they upgrade a customers accounts to include additional resources as their costs decrease. I have tried others but IMHO, linode.com can't be beat.

Jeff

What about the security issue some months ago ?

Every significant organization has issues, even Google and Amazon. Linode was very open about the problem and solved it quickly to minimize any damage. Even with the breech, no credit card information was lost. The lish system passwords may have been compromised but they were all nullified and customers were notified to change them. LIsh is the failsafe local access to your VPS server that can be utilized when there is no other way to gain access to your server. It is accessed through your control panel. For quite sometime, they have used a "trusted IP address" to control access to the control panel. Whenever I travel, I have to authorized "foreign" IP addresses via an email notice before I can log in. In addition, they now have an "authenticator" system that uses third party random number generators to add an additional layer of security. I use Google Authenticator. After I log into my Linode control panel, I have to enter a random number generated by the authenticator ap on my iPhone before I can actually get into the control panel. The random six digit number changes every minute. I have had servers from most of the major players and a number of smaller ones since 2001 or so. So far, Linode has provided the quality and services I need at a very fair price.

Here is a link to the Linode blog and the post about the referenced security incident on the day it happened: https://blog.linode.com/2013/04/16/security-incident-update/

Linode offers a free trial VPS to test their system.

They are worth a try.

Jeff

however if you were to seriously allocate an entire CPU, the server would have a maximum of 4 clients, and cost tens of thousands of dollars - so nobody does it.

That cost is a little outrageous, but it would certainly cost a lot more than what these people are expecting it to cost.

That cost is a little outrageous, but it would certainly cost a lot more than what these people are expecting it to cost.
Even on a piss poor setup (I.E a single Quad Core Xeon with 12GB RAM and a couple of SATA drives) it'd still have to cost the customer ~$200 a month to make it profitable.

At that point they may as well have their own server.

Even on a piss poor setup (I.E a single Quad Core Xeon with 12GB RAM and a couple of SATA drives) it'd still have to cost the customer ~$200 a month to make it profitable.

You can pick up quad core Xeons (E3's) with 32GB of RAM and hardware RAID10 (4 drive) for ~$200 all day long in really good datacenters. That's only $50/mo./core at cost.

Wouldn't recommend. You can't really call whatever they offer a VPS since the CPU is shared between all users.

That's exactly what a virtual private server is all about. You have the appearance of having your own private server in a shared environment, with root access and all the bells & whistles that come with it.

The concept goes back ~40 years to IBM's virtual machine facility (VM/370) where you could run multiple copies of IBM's various operating systems on a single 370 mainframes. Each virtual machine has its down address space and its own logical i/O devices are at mapped onto real physical devices.

Obviously the CPU is shared in such an environment.

Top Bottom