Need everyones opinion...

billybatz9

I am thinking about creating a community for pet owners...
Now I know broad pet forums don't make much money, especially when you have a long forum with all the animal classes.... sooooo, I was thinking.

Should I just do a website on a smaller niche? Like (amphibian forum) or sub-niche (frog forum)

or.....

(my plan)
set up one forum first (amphibian forum)
then as that grows, add another forum (different forum) to the site... Birds.
... then keep going.

I dk much about google lol except that it answers all my questions LOL
So it will be a little hard to write content about Google. Unless I google some news about Google ;)

I dk much about google lol except that it answers all my questions LOL
So it will be a little hard to write content about Google. Unless I google some news about Google ;)

I think DRE was talking about https://plus.google.com/communities

Google is also my genie in a bottle.

I am thinking about creating a community for pet owners...
Now I know broad pet forums don't make much money, especially when you have a long forum with all the animal classes.... sooooo, I was thinking.

Should I just do a website on a smaller niche? Like (amphibian forum) or sub-niche (frog forum)

or.....

(my plan)
set up one forum first (amphibian forum)
then as that grows, add another forum (different forum) to the site... Birds.
... then keep going.

I wouldn't add one at a time if you are going to keep adding categories to your site (unless you are talking about setting up a completely different forum for each niche), if I showed up to your pet forum looking for bird stuff and there was only a section about lizards...I probably wouldn't end up back at your site when you had relevant stuff about birds down the road.

I would start with three main categories, Land, Air and Water and then define basic sub categories below that;

examples

Land:
Cats, Dogs, Rodents, Other Quadrupeds

Air:
Seabirds, Birds of Prey, Game Birds, Flightless Birds

One large forum as in one large site,
or one large forum as in one large forum node?

Personally I would make it one large site to open it up to more people, instead of compartmentalizing the types into different sites.

I would:
Make (Land, Air and Water) Category nodes
Make (Cats, Dogs, Rodents, Other Quadrupeds) forum nodes that are children of a category node

...and then create thread prefixes for more specific groups like types of cats, do the obvious prefixes first, then whatever else you can think of, and then down the road as people request one or when you realize you can use another prefix when coming across a thread add it yourself.

Doing the prefixes should allow users to narrow down what they are looking through when wanting something specific once your board gets heavily populated and when they just want to browse cats...they can see all cat threads.

Seems like Flightless Birds should be under Land, not Air.;)

True but how much do you want to bet that if you put flightless birds in the land category that people would submit stuff in birds with whatever prefix fits the closest not even knowing that there is a spot somewhere else for it with a prefix waiting.

When thinking about living creatures and saying those in the air, people almost always think of birds or insects first.

I'd change the red to Groud Pounders. :p
That way it would fit ANY earthbound critter.
LOL am I sick for picturing someone going ufc on someones face? :-)

That would work...I didn't list all sub classes possible as it was an example but it got me thinking...replacing Other Quadrupeds with something like that would shorten the list up greatly, and on that note it might be good to split it up by domesticated pets wild/exotic pets.

Are you kidding me? Xenforo should delete the pre sales questions forum and just put a billybatz forum. I have asked all the questions there can be :ROFLMAO:
It's not the water that I am afraid of. It's the $$$ I dont want to lose (again)

College student with no job (n)
I sacrifice lunches and friday nights out for this forum :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Xenforo should delete the pre sales questions forum and just put a billybatz forum. I have asked all the questions there can be :ROFLMAO:
It's not the water that I am afraid of. It's the $$$ I dont want to lose (again)

College student with no job (n)
I sacrifice lunches and friday nights out for this forum :rolleyes:
Again? I'm guessing you bought a software before then and got burnt? Trust me, won't happen with XenForo :D

Top Bottom